Jolly old Gimp again

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby catgate » Fri May 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Thank you, ajgreeny, for your reply.
I am intrigued by this 3D business. I had no idea that this was part of 12.04 (yes , I know, I should get out more).
I was considering putting together a new box of bits for 12.04, when I eventually switch, but I will now have to find out what I shall need to accommodate it. (Any advice gratefully received!)
I am not particularly interested in 3D itself, but the LTS aspect is certainly important to me. Management may be interested in 3D, as she uses the machine more for recreational purposes that I do.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Sat May 12, 2012 12:44 pm

It is confusing I think, and you are obviously feeling the same.

When unity first appeared in 11.04 it defaulted to gnome classic if unity 3D could not run, and unity 2D had to be installed separately, though why anyone would, I can't imagine. In 11.10, with the move to gnome 3 and gtk+3 the system defaulted to unity2D when unable to run unity 3D, and that is where the problems started for me, as unity 2D can not be configured in many, if any useful ways.

It was, however, possible to install gnome-panel or gnome-session-fallback to get a classic gnome desktop in 11.10, and in 12.04 that option remains, but seems to perform much better than it did in 11.10, in my opinion. I am testing 12.04 on a small partition, running the classic desktop, without the annoying scrollbar system that is default in 11.10 and 12.04, and also without the similarly annoying global menus.

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966370 for some more detailed info on how to get the classic desktop in 12.04
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Sat May 12, 2012 4:52 pm

ajgreeny wrote:It is confusing I think, and you are obviously feeling the same.

You are dead right there. aj.
I kicked M$ into touch because it was becoming all bunting and frolics, and turned to Ubuntu because it seemed to have a much more grown up approach.
It looks to me as though things are now being done in Ubuntu not "because we need to", but rather "because we can".
I shall go and look at your link and see if my poor old grey matter can absorb its content.
My hair can not go any greyer so it will probably speed up its rate of fall out.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Gimp 2.8 on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04

Postby mrwalker » Tue May 22, 2012 7:11 pm

catgate wrote:Thnk you for that kind sir.

I suppose the next question is "Will Gimp 2.8 be compatible with a bewhiskered Ububtu 10.04?" Followed by "Oh ....well has Ubuntu 12.04 now got over it's teething problems?"

It isn't very easy but you can get GIMP 2.8 on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.

Have a look at this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1982183
mrwalker

Re: Gimp 2.8 on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04

Postby catgate » Sat May 26, 2012 10:39 am

mrwalker wrote:

Have a look at this:

Thank you mrwalker.
I think I tend to agree with several of the comments in that thread. There does seem to be an inordinate amount of pratting about involved, and, at the grand old age of 79, I imagine I might be overcome with brain fag and physical exhaustion before I finished the task ...or before it finished me!!
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby mrwalker » Sun May 27, 2012 10:56 am

catgate wrote:
mrwalker wrote:

Have a look at this:

Thank you mrwalker.
I think I tend to agree with several of the comments in that thread. There does seem to be an inordinate amount of pratting about involved, and, at the grand old age of 79, I imagine I might be overcome with brain fag and physical exhaustion before I finished the task ...or before it finished me!!

He he we don't want that do we...

Well Mr Otto is planning to develop a PPA for Lucid as well (as mentioned on that thread) so that should work for you once done!
mrwalker

Postby catgate » Sun May 27, 2012 3:45 pm

mrwalker wrote:
He he we don't want that do we...

Well Mr Otto is planning to develop a PPA for Lucid as well (as mentioned on that thread) so that should work for you once done!

Since I started this thread, what seems like light years ago, I have built a new box of tricks. with new MB, CPU, and Powerpack, and more RAM and have let 12.04 loose on it.
My first impression of 12.04 is "Why".
My understanding of the aim of the UBUNTU concept was to produce a simple everyman's version of an operating system, but as time has gone by the aim seems to have changed, and now seems to be concentrated on the production of multicoloured bells and whistles.
I will grant you I have little interest in on-line gaming and other such ephemera, being an old dodderer, but I think that many of the bells and whistles could be offered as "opt-in" options rather than "opt-out".
I spent most of my crust earning years as a manager in the R&D Division of a large Multinational, and one of the tenets in product development was to always keep things as simple as possible.
But then...what do I know about the price of fish.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby roseway » Sun May 27, 2012 6:51 pm

I'm with you, catgate, but then I'm an old dodderer too. It seems to me that the bling is a distraction which gets in the way of doing useful work on the computer. But Linux users seem to like it, possibly because it gives them something to brag about to their Windows-using friends. :lol:
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Help!