Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jolly old Gimp again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Jolly old Gimp again Reply with quote

Some weeks ago I raised the matter of Gimp and it's sudden seeming reluctance to accept my Epson DX5050 as a viable scanner. This situation is still as it was then.
Today I wanted to do a little bit of picture tweaking and after loading the picture I found I could not get the toolbox up on the screen. A few days ago I found that it would not “Save” a .jpg image it had to be “Exported”.
So I looked at “About” Gimp and found I was using Gimp 2.7.2 and it was an”unstable development release”.
The “Ubuntu Software Centre”(under “Applications”) told me that I had Gimp ver 2.7.3. So I told it to unistalled it, hoping to get rid of 2.7.2 . I then went back to Synaptic Package manager and told it to install 2.7.3........and got 2.7.2 back.
Some time back, maybe two or three months ago, the gimp screen opening picture changed to a view of an old fashioned electric switch and a meter and I associated this with a Gimp update. Looking back this may well have been the start of this nonsense.
Has anyone else had this performance or am I the only person to have received this visitation. And....more to the point....please has anyone any advice on how to get rid of the problem , without huffing and puffing and blowing the entire house down?
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using ubuntu 12.04 you can now get gimp 2.8 to try out.

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11918412#post11918412 for details and some warnings regarding 11.10 if that's your ubuntu version.
towy71

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ubuntu install 11.10 uses Gimp 2.6.11 and I don't scan using it I use xsane, but I'm sure there must be a plugin Wink

btw my scanner is Epson Office BX300F multi-function printer/scanner/copier and fax machine
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies, chaps.
I come from a long line of luddites and so I am still using Ubuntu 10.04....and waiting for a few more weeks until all the nuts and bolts have been rechecked on 12.04
I suppose I am wrong in saying that I used to scan with Gimp, Towie, because like you I used xsane via the gimp file>create route.
It puzzles me that this rogue 2.7.2 version should creep in somhow. I like to let sleeping dogs remain so. Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the jpg "export" is to remove transparency from the GIMP native format, which .jpg does not support. Click ok and then you can save it.

catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
the jpg "export" is to remove transparency from the GIMP native format, which .jpg does not support. Click ok and then you can save it.

Thanks for that, wylie.
One odd thing about it, to me, is that before this Gimp 2.7.2 thing crept in from somewhere I could just click OK and it would save a .jpg to where ever one wanted it to go.
The other, probably more peculiar, is that Synaptic Package Manager tells me that the installed version of Gimp is 2.7.3 and yet the when I run Gimp the Help>About dialogue tells me what I am running is 2.7.2.
Gimp man speak with forked tongue.
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just repeated the exercise of removing and reinstalling Gimp.
I removed, via Synaptic P.M., Gimp 2.7.3 ( that is what S.P.M. said was installed) and all the other support things that were loaded (gimp-data, gimp-data extras, gimp-draw, gimp-gutenprint) and I then Shut Down.
I rebooted and loaded the above listed items.
When I started up Gimp on the screen I was presented with the same unstable 2.7.2 again.

edit:- I have just checked the time and it is 5.41p.m.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catgate wrote:
One odd thing about it, to me, is that before this Gimp 2.7.2 thing crept in from somewhere I could just click OK and it would save a .jpg to where ever one wanted it to go.

There's still an option to save a file back out in its original file and format, File > Overwrite <filename>.
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:

There's still an option to save a file back out in its original file and format, File > Overwrite <filename>.

That is a nice thing, nelz. I had not seen that.
I am very puzzled though, about how this 2.7.2 version (which is a self confessed "unstable" version) comes to be on my machine masquerading as ver.2.7.3., and also how I can get rid of it and replace it with a real genuine 2.7.3.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 2.7 versions are development (so-called "unstable" releases). It could be that you either have a mispackaged version or it really is 2.7.3 with an identity crisis. The only other alternative is that you have both versions installed. What do you get from

Code:
which gimp
gimp --version

catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
All 2.7 versions are development (so-called "unstable" releases). It could be that you either have a mispackaged version or it really is 2.7.3 with an identity crisis. The only other alternative is that you have both versions installed. What do you get from

Code:
which gimp
gimp --version

This is what I get, nelz.

catgate@catgate-desktop:~$ which gimp
/usr/bin/gimp
catgate@catgate-desktop:~$ gimp --version
GNU Image Manipulation Program version 2.7.2
catgate@catgate-desktop:~$

This seems a bit odd when Synaptic P.M. says the installed version is 2.7.3.

Incidentally I have been poking about this evening looking at GIMP references and matters (on t'interthingy) and I have been quite surprised at the decision to no longer include it in "standard issue distros". From my reading it appears as though either I should have no Gimp at all or at the latest a late stable version of 2.6.?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you have 2.7.2 in a package labelled 2.7.3. If the label on the item disagrees with the label on its box, believe the item itself.

I can understand distros not including 2.7 as it is both a development version and out of date. 2.8 is the latest stable release.
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnk you for that kind sir.

I suppose the next question is "Will Gimp 2.8 be compatible with a bewhiskered Ububtu 10.04?" Followed by "Oh ....well has Ubuntu 12.04 now got over it's teething problems?"
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, I use Linux rather than Ubuntu Wink
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catgate wrote:
Tahnk you for that kind sir.

I suppose the next question is "Will Gimp 2.8 be compatible with a bewhiskered Ububtu 10.04?" Followed by "Oh ....well has Ubuntu 12.04 now got over it's teething problems?"

I think it is "No" to the first question, but who knows if someone may produce a ppa version.

To the second question; that depends on your feelings about unity.

If you like unity and can run it in 3D, then 12.04 is pretty good, and much better than 11.10, in my opinion. If you can only run it in 2D you will be missing far too many of the configuration options to make it a usable possibility, (again, my opinion), but install gnome-panel with all its dependencies, choose gnome-classic at login and you will have a gnome 3 version of gnome 2 desktop which seems to work very well on my old (7yrs) desktop machine.

I have not yet tried gimp 2.8 on my test install of ubuntu 12.04 with the classic desktop, but I did try the 2.7 series in 10.04 and found it to be no better than 2.6.11 which is my main ubuntu 10.04 gimp version.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: