Windows

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Windows

Postby heiowge » Thu May 03, 2012 11:56 pm

I notice that next issue will feature an article comparing the latest Ubuntu vs the new Windows 8.

While I get the desire to compare Linux and Windows I don't get why Ubuntu. If they need to compare the latest desktops, surely cinnamon is newer and has an equally high buzz. If it's down to numbers, Mint has wiped the floor with Ubuntu for months now.

Surely it makes sense to compare the best showcase distros for each desktop with Microsofts new offering. My suggestions would be Fedora for Gnome 3, OpenSUSE for KDE, Mint for Cinnamon as well as Ubuntu for Unity. I'm sure Mike will also chime in here with a showcase distro for XFCE as well. :lol:
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Re: Windows

Postby Rhakios » Fri May 04, 2012 6:43 am

heiowge wrote:While I get the desire to compare Linux and Windows I don't get why Ubuntu.

Because both OSes seem to feel a need to foist touch-screen interfaces onto desktop users: it will be instructive to see which makes the better of a bad job. :wink:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs