Thanks. New User.

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Thanks. New User.

Postby Mandelbrot » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Hello,

I am a new user of Linux OS - I just installed Ubuntu today. One of the reasons I did so was because for years I have been telling myself I was going to learn more about PCs and have heard that to really do anything with a Linux system you have to learn how the PC operates and stores information. Another reason is all of the virus infestation that kept slowing down my Windows Vista OS, all of the BS stuff that came on it from Sony, etc. I hear Linux is better for those reasons and that is what I am looking for. I hope to be able to learn a lot about both Linux and PCs here and eventually to stop stalking information, but to also be able to contribute to this forum as well.

Thank you,
Mandelbrot
"Your life is an occasion, rise to it."
- Mr. Magorium in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Mandelbrot

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:30 pm

Welcome, and good luck :)
With patience, Linux is far more rewarding than MS.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Re: Thanks. New User.

Postby Nuke » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:52 pm

Mandelbrot wrote: I just installed Ubuntu today. One of the reasons I did so was because for years I have been telling myself I was going to learn more about PCs and have heard that to really do anything with a Linux system you have to learn how the PC operates and stores information.

You do not have to learn how a PC operates to use Linux - that is a common fallacy among outsiders. Once installed you can use it like Windows, although it looks a bit different.

The main difference from Windows from a beginner's point of view is that you must install Linux yourself, compared with Windows which most PCs have pre-installed. In fact Linux is made easier to install than Windows in a like-for-like situation because it is not always installed by professionals. A Linux distro like Mepis installs with hardly any intervention by the user.

Installing Linux is a bit more complex if you want to add it to a PC with [as usual] pre-installed Windows, for both to share. That is not the fault of Linux - it is even more complex to install a copy of Windows on a PC with Linux installed first.

But once installed, and if you want to use it that way, Linux is vastly superior to Windows for getting into the works of a computer, its operating system and the "network" generally. You can use Linux and never see the command line (like most Windows users are not even aware that Windows has a command line, or if they are they wrongly call it "DOS") but if you are to become a power user the command line will be your tool box, and the Windows command line is pathetic compared with that of Linux.

Mandelbrot wrote: Another reason is all of the virus infestation that kept slowing down my Windows Vista OS, all of the BS stuff that came on it from Sony, etc. I hear Linux is better for those reasons and that is what I am looking for.

It cetainly is. I never give malware a thought with Linux, although some experts say I ought to on principle. I sometimes use a Windows PC and I find it torture with innumerable pop-ups nagging that I should get this-or-that virus checker, this-or-that update. I don't know if these pop-ups warning me of malware are not malware themselves, and I don't know how people can stand it!
Nuke
LXF regular

Return to Discussion