Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Dual Boot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnnie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Changing Dual Boot Reply with quote

I have a desktop that has Windows 7 and a Suse distro. Some months before I wanted to change the Suse to Fedora so I just formated the Suse installation. Good thing I had my original Windows backed up! Needless to say I couldn't boot windows. My question is how to remove a distro and preserve my original or a working boot loader. Is GRUB a secondary boot loader located on the Linux distro? What is the proper procedure?

Thank you,

John
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you have is that Windows only supports dual booting via the Windows boot loader, which is to say the least not easy to configure, and it does not support other OSes easily.
Linux supports dual boot in a much more user friendly way, but removing Linux removes its boot loader.
Fairly obvious when you look at it like that really.
That said, windows 7 has a faily simple boot recovery system, you just need the install disk.

lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A follow on to wyliecoyoteuk. Get yourself an other hard drive and install your Linux choice on it,when it's installer asks where to put the boot loader,put it on the new drive.Then you can do either or two things change the boot order in the BIOS to the new drive or to the windoze drive and use the F8 boot menu to boot your Linux distro.This leaves the windoze all alone believing it owns the whole box Wink BTW the fist choice will also put windows as one of the boot options.

Enjoy the Choice Smile
Johnnie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Two great ideas Reply with quote

Thanks to Wylie and Lok. I need to read up on the recovery disc and I like the idea of a separate drive. Looking forward to the day I can dump windows altogether.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRUB is not a Linux bootloader, but it has to keep its files somewhere, and that is usually on a partition of the distro that installed it, so deleting that partition with render GRUB unusable. If you want to switch one distro for another, the simplest option is to install the new distro over the top of the old one - its installer with reformat the old partition and then install the distro, along with GRUB, so your system will still dual boot.

Most installers have an option to replace another distro with the new one. If not, just tell it to install to whichever partition(s) your old distro used.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should have said the boot loader that Linux installed then Razz

There are some superb rescue LiveCDs out there, Parted Magic and RescaTux are useful ones.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: