Changing Dual Boot

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Changing Dual Boot

Postby Johnnie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:20 pm

I have a desktop that has Windows 7 and a Suse distro. Some months before I wanted to change the Suse to Fedora so I just formated the Suse installation. Good thing I had my original Windows backed up! Needless to say I couldn't boot windows. My question is how to remove a distro and preserve my original or a working boot loader. Is GRUB a secondary boot loader located on the Linux distro? What is the proper procedure?

Thank you,

John
Johnnie

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 pm

The problem you have is that Windows only supports dual booting via the Windows boot loader, which is to say the least not easy to configure, and it does not support other OSes easily.
Linux supports dual boot in a much more user friendly way, but removing Linux removes its boot loader.
Fairly obvious when you look at it like that really.
That said, windows 7 has a faily simple boot recovery system, you just need the install disk.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:47 pm

A follow on to wyliecoyoteuk. Get yourself an other hard drive and install your Linux choice on it,when it's installer asks where to put the boot loader,put it on the new drive.Then you can do either or two things change the boot order in the BIOS to the new drive or to the windoze drive and use the F8 boot menu to boot your Linux distro.This leaves the windoze all alone believing it owns the whole box :wink: BTW the fist choice will also put windows as one of the boot options.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Two great ideas

Postby Johnnie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Thanks to Wylie and Lok. I need to read up on the recovery disc and I like the idea of a separate drive. Looking forward to the day I can dump windows altogether.
Johnnie

Postby nelz » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:04 am

GRUB is not a Linux bootloader, but it has to keep its files somewhere, and that is usually on a partition of the distro that installed it, so deleting that partition with render GRUB unusable. If you want to switch one distro for another, the simplest option is to install the new distro over the top of the old one - its installer with reformat the old partition and then install the distro, along with GRUB, so your system will still dual boot.

Most installers have an option to replace another distro with the new one. If not, just tell it to install to whichever partition(s) your old distro used.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 am

Maybe I should have said the boot loader that Linux installed then :P

There are some superb rescue LiveCDs out there,Parted Magic and RescaTux are useful ones.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Help!