Firefox and Pandora

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Firefox and Pandora

Postby Mandelbrot » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Anyone know how to get Pandora to work with Firefox? I tried to follow all of the steps of the Pandora/Firefox Troubleshooting page with the exception of this: "Disable Adblock, Flashblock, and NoScript Extensions." I wouldn't know how to accomplish those things, and I'm not sure disabling those would necessarily be a good idea. I also haven't tried downloading the newest version of Flash Player because I am not sure which of the four options to download: YUM for Linux; .tar.gz for other Linux; .rpm for other Linux; or APT for Ubuntu 10.4+

Things I have tried:
1. Verified I have the latest and greatest firefox updates, not a problem since I just installed Ubuntu today, but still verified it.
2. Enabled cookies from *.pandora.com.
3. Cleared out my history.

Any further advice you have would be appreciated.
Mandelbrot
"Your life is an occasion, rise to it."
- Mr. Magorium in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Mandelbrot

Postby lok1950 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Since you are using Ubuntu use the Apt for Ubuntu to get flash now to turn off Adblock and the other extensions there should be a menu item dealing with extensions it should have an option for controlling each one( I use Chrome haven`t used Firefox in awhile ) but I`m sure someone will chime in to correct me soon 8) but if you are using the vanilla Firefox those extensions will not be installed anyway.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Pandora.

Postby DrakkenWar » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:00 am

I was one of the many that went through the Pandora heart ache. It really did not matter what I did with either: Debian Sid or Mint 12 that I currently have installed on my linux box.

However, have you had a chance to look at last.fm?

http://alternativeto.net/software/lastfm/

It does everything Pandora does, albeit the playlists aren't nearly as convenient as the stations on Pandora, but it is free for the for seeable future unlike Pandora's new-ish business model. It is available in the repo's with pretty much 0 configs out the gate aside from an easy to setup account.

I was reluctant to leave Pandora after years of setting up my lists and tweaking things the way I wanted, but I was not willing to pay a fee for something that is pretty much free to being with.

YMMV,
~Drake

" It's all bullshit and it is bad for you"
-George Carlin
" Live free or die"
-Delaware
" I find that organized religion is the greatest form of crowd control for the dregs of the modern day morass"
- me
DrakkenWar

Return to Help!