Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nfs: user and group names appear as numbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daudi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: nfs: user and group names appear as numbers Reply with quote

Ubuntu 11.10 on both server and client
nfs: 1:1.2.4-1ubuntu2

I'm setting up nfs at home. I have the same uid and gid on the server and client, but have different user names. I can mount the nfs export on the client and can read and write files. Everything works fine.

However there is something I don't understand. If I ssh into the server and do ls -l I see that the files are owned by my login on the server. If I do ls -l on the same directory from the client instead of seeing my username and group on the client I see a long number (4294967294).

Everything works fine, I would just like to know why I'm not seeing my local user name.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit this one a few days ago and it turned out to be a typo in /etc/hosts (I hit , instead of. - try spotting that one quickly) which caused the client to send the wrong hostname when connecting to the server. This caused idmapd to throw a hissy fit and show messed up ownerships like this.
daudi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I think my /etc/hosts is okay. I've remembered another detail that makes this odd (or perhaps caused the problem). When I first set this up the my user accounts on the server and client not only had different names they also had different uids (1000 on the server and 1010 on the client). This meant that when I mounted the export the files were owned by the user on the client with uid 1000). I therefore changed my uid on the server to match the client using
Code:
usermod -u 1010 username

After doing this I expected to see the correct username on the client, but instead see the long number.

So for some reason changing the uid on the server seems to have caused this problem.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: