Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Ext hard drive not recognised after update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbh911

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: USB Ext hard drive not recognised after update Reply with quote

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and yesterday ran updates which included Linux 2.6.32-39-generic. Following the successful installations of the updates I removed the 3 older kernel versions to reduce the size of the Grub boot page.
I then went to image my HDD using Clonzilla, which has been a routine for some years, but my USB external HDD was not recognised. Many attempts were made but to no avail.
The only USB item I could get my PC to recognise is a 4GB imitation memory stick, but it's recognised as usb0 and with the HDD icon appearing on the screen and in the Places directory. There was also a Rubbish Bin appearing in Places after I'd accessed usb0 - with 2 items which exist on the POCKET memory stick!
When I attempted to unmount usb0, a popup screen asked: Do you want to empty the rubbish bin before you unmount? The response to both Yes & No was: Unable to unmount: /media/usb0 is not in the fstab (and you are not root ).
The usb 4Gb memory stick is known as POCKET and appears in Places as the usual memory stick icon and with POCKET as its name, but is not accessable.

What do I need to do to get my USB external HDD recognised by my PC?

Embarassed
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try reinstalling the previous kernel version -38, and choose that at grub menu, to see if it is a problem related to that -39 version.

I think I have read about other problems on some machines with the 2.6.32-39 version. I use a kernel version 2.6.35-32 from the "proposed" update repos on my 10.04, with no problems and certainly my external USB drive shows and I can backup my system to it. Perhaps worth trying that.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no issue with either -39 or current -40 on ubuntu 10.04 with usb ext hdd.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
jbh911

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: USB HDD not recognised! Reply with quote

Using various kernels didn't solve the problem.

is the some command line tricks that may solve this issue?
jbh911

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: (SOLVED) USB HDD not recognised! Reply with quote

Problem sorted. How? By using the correct USB cable!

Embarassed
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel to bad we all have Homer moments Doh!!

Enjoy the Choice:)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: