Can't install Mint 12

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Can't install Mint 12

Postby Norman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:28 pm

I just purchased your magazine with the Linux Mint 12 attached. I get as far as the nice Linux Mint 12 Slash screen and can go no further. I tried it on an empty drive and also tried installing over XP Pro and get the same thing No link to install it just hangs there? :)
Norman

Postby heiowge » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:43 pm

If you're installing over XP, can I assume it's an old machine? Perhaps the specs of it are not enough for Mint 12.

What are the specs of the PC. That might assist us in helping you install it.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 17.1 MATE and Win7

HP mini, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 17 MATE
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Norman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:42 pm

heiowge wrote:If you're installing over XP, can I assume it's an old machine? Perhaps the specs of it are not enough for Mint 12.

What are the specs of the PC. That might assist us in helping you install it.

Compaq Pesario R3000 Laptop
AMD Athlon (tm) XP Processor
797 MHz 512 MB of Ram
60 gig hard drive

Thanks for the Help...
Norman

Postby heiowge » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:05 pm

I would say that could be it!

The processor and RAM are a tad on the light side for what I'd recommend with Mint 12.

Have you tried Lubuntu or Peppermint OS? Both are current and designed for lightweight desktops.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 17.1 MATE and Win7

HP mini, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 17 MATE
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby don Quixote » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Heiowge, I too have an Eeepc 1015 but PEM. OEM Win 7 Starter so I found that I could not install Mint 12 alongside because Win 7 cunningly creates and uses all 4 possible dynamic partitions. Today I thought *@#& it and decided just to install over Win 7 and abandon it forever.

So far so good but then I get the screen to choose my picture and I cannot scroll down to access the next button and I cannot change the screen resolution to get it on screen.

Of course, having started I cannot now boot back into windows so again I say *@#& it!

Any suggestions?
don Quixote

Postby nelz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Hold down the Alt key and click in any unused area of the window to drag it upwards, then you can reach the buttons.

Considering the number of devices with 600 pixel high screens out there, it's incredible that so many programs insist on opening windows taller than this.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby don Quixote » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks Nelz.
Backing away now and nodding with great respect.
don Quixote

Postby larcky » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:56 pm

@don Quixote
Win 7 cunningly creates and uses all 4 possible dynamic partitions

Those damned Schweinehunde did the same thing with my HP laptop. I'm assuming this is now fairly standard practice - in which case the instructions in LXF every month showing newcomers how to set up their hard drives for dual boot simply don't work, period. And then there's UEFI to look forward to. Nice to see Microsoft returning to form.
larcky

Postby towy71 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:08 pm

larcky wrote:
@don Quixote
Win 7 cunningly creates and uses all 4 possible dynamic partitions

.....Nice to see Microsoft returning to form.
Don't think any monopolists like to gave any sucker a break :wink: :roll: :evil:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:54 pm

On the plus side, UEFI works with GPT partition tables, which don't have the 4 partition limit.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby guy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:27 pm

In reply to the OP, have you got nvidia graphics hardware in there? Mint 12 is part of the generation that switched from nvidia's proprietary blobs to some new thing folded into the kernel, which breaks some nvidia kit - and, outrageously, also breaks the framebuffer once that nvidia kit has been "detected".

I hit the problem with debian squeeze as well as Mint 12. One symptom with Mint was it would hand at the splash screen, typically with messy bands of pixels here and there. Tried deactivating the thing but no joy - none of the HowTos springing up on forums and such seemed to help.

Gave up and got a different gfx card. Happy now.

Not saying this is your problem, but maybe.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby Weatherlawyer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:25 pm

guy wrote:In reply to the OP, have you got nvidia graphics hardware in there? Mint 12 is part of the generation that switched from nvidia's proprietary blobs to some new thing folded into the kernel, which breaks some nvidia kit - and, outrageously, also breaks the framebuffer once that nvidia kit has been "detected".

I hit the problem with debian squeeze as well as Mint 12. One symptom with Mint was it would hand at the splash screen, typically with messy bands of pixels here and there. Tried deactivating the thing but no joy - none of the HowTos springing up on forums and such seemed to help.

I've had exactly the same problem.

None of my recent discs would load on a Dell and on this P4 latest thing I have.

I put Ubuntu 10.10 on it eventually after getting Win 98 to partition it (Looooooooooooooooooooooooong story.)

Now I have no audio. Typical LxF disc problem for me.

Looks like I need to get a soundcard?
I would very much like to be nice. If this is not your day, I am sorry about that.
Weatherlawyer

Return to Help!