Gasp I like Gnome3!

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Gasp I like Gnome3!

Postby towy71 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:00 am

After a bit of pain yesterday, when after installing the LXF remix with Gnome3, I was constantly dumped to the login screen but could login when I Ctrl+Alt+F1'd*, I really like Gnome3, cleaner, faster and a joy to play with.

I must go and recuperate and drink a glass or two :wink:

almost tempted to make a poll :roll:

*needed to remove .profile and .XAuthority, some sort of bug apparently :oops:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Funnily enough, so do I . . .

Postby Oh well! » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:12 am

Funnily enough, so do I. I've got it running on openSuse from LXF DVD 153DB and . . . it's great. On my netbook, with just the desktop and system monitor running, it's only using 176 MB of RAM and less than 10% of the CPU power, which is very good for a 'full fat' desktop. KDE on the same base system uses nearly double, on both counts.

What's more, as the extensions system for the Gnome shell is starting to take off, it's becoming a very configurable desktop; not to KDE levels yet, but it could get there. And then there are other 'shells': we already have Unity and Cinnamon as well as Gnome shell.

Like others, I was dismayed when I first tried Gnome shell nearly two years ago (an alpha version, I think), but something persuaded me to give it a go again recently and I guess the Gnome developers were just thinking a step or two ahead of the user-base: it's going to be efficient, modular, configurable - all the classic Linux qualities that users thought it lacked, it has/will have in spades. It just requires the extensions 'ecosystem' to really blossom to bring it to fruition.
Oh well!

Postby Brian Hunter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:09 pm

I like it too. Maybe we should start a club.
Brian Hunter

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:54 pm

LIES!

KDE FTW!!!! 8)

Oh well! :- Just get a bigger better netbook and everything will be fine

Brian Hunter :- You too have been brainwashed!
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Just install AROS on my netbook----- mmmmm, blue
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Oh well! » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 pm

LIES!

KDE FTW!!!!

Oh well! :- Just get a bigger better netbook and everything will be fine

Ooh! Fighting talk, bobthebob1234: the netbook is one of the better ones, perfectly capable of running KDE; indeed, I ran Fedora KDE on it for quite a while - good netbook interface.

I guess you just haven't seen the light of Gnome 3 though: why else the Microsoft-style FUD? It's not the software that's slow, it's your hardware! 'LIES'. Reminds me of the defence of Vista! Clearly, you are a supporter of the dark side. :wink:
Oh well!

Postby evilnick » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Gnome 3 is slow, broken in parts, and seems to be actively designed to prevent me from completing any task I might actually want to do involving more than one piece of software.

Other than that it's fantastic
evilnick

Postby bobthebob1234 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Oh well! wrote:Ooh! Fighting talk, bobthebob1234: the netbook is one of the better ones, perfectly capable of running KDE; indeed, I ran Fedora KDE on it for quite a while - good netbook interface.

I guess you just haven't seen the light of Gnome 3 though: why else the Microsoft-style FUD? It's not the software that's slow, it's your hardware! 'LIES'. Reminds me of the defence of Vista! Clearly, you are a supporter of the dark side. :wink:

I was forced to use Gnome 3 for a couple of uni practicals and literally took me 5 minutes to work out how to shut the damn thing down, the demonstrators literally had to hold me down to stop me throwing the machine out of the window!

I have a six core processor and 16gb ram so kde and windows 7 runs fine for me :P The fun part comes when I run kubuntu inside a virtualbox inside windows 7 inside a virtual machine on kubuntu 8)

Also what evilnick says. It takes ages to find what I am looking for!!!

Also I use 3 screens and kde lets me have different backgrounds on each :D
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby godofthedevil » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:18 pm

for my main computer (running arch) it has to be KDE because of its duel moniter support.. when i used GNOME 3 on Fedora 16.. it showed the 2 screens however i couldnt get the mouse to get to the 2nd screen,

for my netbook (running opensuse) it has to be LXDE as its lightweight.. but not featherweight

im gonna wait a while before i give GNOME 3 another chance as its a bit too new and a bit too new is normally a bit too buggy for me
www.stewfisher.co.uk

LinuxMint, The loveable Grandchild of Debian/GNU Linux
godofthedevil
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs