New Phone

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

New Phone

Postby ScannerDarkly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi guys. A smartphone, powered by Android, I imagine, is what I'm after. Hope I'm posting this in the right place!

It'll be my first smartphone. At the moment I've got some £10 qwerty job.

I'm interested in doing development on it. Not just the LFX tuts. I'm learning Java right now, so yeah.

My question is, I don't have a clue what I'm doing phone-wise. Do I go take out a monthly pay? They don't seem to offer the best choice of Android devices. I could go and buy the phone, ack, it's a real nightmare that requires a few hours of research. What do most of you do?

For those of you in the know about phones -- any pointers?
Linux since Ubuntu 6.06.
ScannerDarkly

Postby bobthebob1234 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 pm

I got Samsung Nexus S, no complaints here, but the newer Galaxy Nexus might be better now.

As for contract, etc, depends on how much you are going to use your phone as a phone or what ever. I have no friends so only use my phone as a phone about once every 2 months :? so a contract wasn't worth it for me.
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 am

As fas as new Android phones are concerned, they can be divided into roughly two camps. Premium and budget. "mid-range" phones are usually older premium phones.

Premium phones usually have large high-res screens, powerful processors and fair cameras. They usually get updated when new versions of Android are released.

Budget phones usually have poorer, lower resolution screens, less powerful cpus (600MHz single core as opposed to 1GHz+ dual core) and poorer cameras. They often don't get updated.

Another thing to consider is that many budget phones use processors based on the ARMv6 instruction set rather than ARMv7, as found in more expensive models. Some applications, mostly video players and Adobe Flash, require and ARMv7 based cpu.

Another thing to consider is whether the device can be unlocked (most can, but some are easier then others). You will be interested in this if you want to install an alternate operating system.

Android phones sold as PAYG are often crammed with annoying "foistware", so the ability to flash your own OS to get rid of it is useful. Have a peek at CyanogenMod for more info (You won't see anything today (18th Jan 2012) as they are participating in the anti-SOPA protest, and good on 'em, in my opinion).

If you are interested in Android development, you can get by using the emulator. Indeed, unless you have a stash of devices, you'll need to do this to try out your app on different screen sizes.

Hope this helps.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:20 am

+1 for the Google Nexus S. Nice phone.
Only moan is that the inbuilt browser is not too hot (specifically it doesn't work well with Zoneminder's mobile skin). But you can always install others, including Firefox.
Our company provides them as phones and PDAs for our call logging application.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Had the Samsung Galaxy S2 since July, its brilliant (except battery).

It's only my second smartphone in 4 years, but the difference is I actually use it for all the other apps, not just as a phone. I put this down to it being Android and a large screen.

The screen is brilliant, but the price is battery, start the day 8am 100%, a phone call, some texts, 20mins web, 30mins GPS and finish the day 00:00 and its 15-20%.

The next version of the Galaxy is due out in May I think. Quad Core, 12MP camera etc
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Return to Hardware