Componentized Linux

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Would you like an LXF feature on componentized Linux?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:11 pm

Yes indeedy
60%
Might glance at it
20%
Zzzzz...
20%
Use that nice paper for something better
No votes

Total votes : 5

Componentized Linux

Postby guy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:11 pm

Just stumbled across the Componentized Linux project. It looks really cool. In essence it bundles the thousand of GNU/Linux/whoever packages into functional lumps with sensible names. Building a Linux distro then becomes little more than selecting the useful things you want it to do and going "yes, please".

I am amazed that it is not being talked about more - it must surely have a profound effect on the whole distro industry. Anybody with a minimum of Linux experience will be able to build their own custom distro, maybe even me. :shock: Some already are.

Anybody have any experience, insider knowledge or just opinions of componentized Linux?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

RE: Componentized Linux

Postby Flea » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:43 pm

Sounds a bit iffy. I mean what happens when there is an application you want to install that isn't in a compartmentalised package and it requires you to upgrade a certain library that breaks the whole package system?
I haven't read all the details on the website so my answer might be in there, I'll read it all tomorrow.

Anyway, isn't this just a slight extension on Slackware packages? I mean Slack has always compartmentalised packages. Like KDE for instance, one package instead of a dozen kdenetwork, Kdeartwork, kdemultimedia etc. etc.

But, yeah, I for one would like to see an article on this subject.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

RE: Componentized Linux

Postby kevh100 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:16 am

Damn Small Linux has a system almost like that. It's got drop in packages that are just added to a folder on the HD. These get loaded at system startup. If you are planning to use DSL from CD then it's far simpler to add a few singular packages to one folder on the ISO image that it would be to slipstream anything into it. Yes choice or availablity of updates to packages may be an issue but it's getting better as more and more people make more and more packages. If that's not good enough you can also do an 'apt-get' and download anything else you need :)

Kev
kevh100

Return to Discussion