Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Stuff Delivered - Time to Protest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Getting Stuff Delivered - Time to Protest Reply with quote

Didn't know what forum to put this post in ... but here goes:

I think it is about time a protest was organised by PC Hobbyists to object to us have the proverbial taken out of us by Delivery Companies.

Last week, I ordered a load of stuff on the internet. All the items except one were sent by Royal Mail. On one day, the postie arrived early before I got to work, another the packet fit through my letter box. I was out for the others, so I had to travel, oh... a mile or so to the sorting office on Saturday morning to pick up my parcels. Nice. I could actually go any weekday morning early before work if I had to.

The other parcel was sent by Amtrak. There are no words to describe this firm that I could use in polite company. I received their card through the door, on Thursday 20th October, saying that they would try to deliver the parcel on the following day, and if I was not in, it would be held at their depot for two more days for me to collect, and then returned to the sender. They open to 6pm Monday to Friday. They also open Saturday mornings.

So had the parcel been delivered on a Monday, then Tuesday, and then I did not pick it up by Friday, it would have been returned to the sender. No way could I get there after work, as their depot is in Basildon, 25 miles from where I live.

This weekend was also inconvenient for me, as we had visitors staying. So last Thursday, I phoned the ripoff 0870 number on their card, listened to dodgy music for about 15minutes and paid a small fortune for the priviledge, before giving up. If you select the "option" to arrange a delivery time, you just get a message saying they do not do precise delivery times and you get cut off.

I went on the net, and unless you are the "sending" customer, the site is very unhelpful. The only thing I got from it was a fax number. So I faxed them from work on Friday, and basically got a curt fax back, basically saying that their arrangements are totally inflexible.

So my wife and I had to leave our guests in the house while we got up extra early and set out on the journey Saturday morning. On arrival at Amtrak's depot, we found there was one Secretary to deal with all the phone calls, paperwork and callers. The delivery driver had put the wrong consignment number on my card so it took a long time to find it. Two other people were there, also home users who had sent for computer parts. One of them told me that her heart had sunk as soon as she got the e-mail from the supplier saying it had been sent by Amtrak.

The thing is that I had to pay extra for this "service". I paid for postage and packing. I am the customer here. If the Royal Mail or Parcelforce behaved like this, there would be MPs calling for privatisation or blaming "lazy" staff and/or their unions for restrictive practices. But these private delivery firms can get away with anything. They seem to exist for their own convenience, not for those who are paying delivery charges.

I have to say that some of these firms do have depots where you can call to collect round the clock, or who will hold parcels if you contact them, and who actually answer the phones or are contactible by e-mail. But not Amtrak.

I will be making enquiries before any further internet orders to ask whether delivery is by Amtrak. If it is, I will not be ordering any more.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Getting Stuff Delivered - Time to Protest Reply with quote

I get around this problem by having stuff delivered to work instead of home. This is fine in most cases, but there are still one or two companies that will only deliver to your credit card's billing address... they tend not to get my business any more.

I also find that delivery companies vary a lot from area to area. Round here Amtrak are generally pretty good, as are Securicor & DHL (same company, different prices !). But I hate it when Amazon use ParcelNet, as the delivery is invariably late and is delivered by someone out of the back of an estate car, rather than a proper delivery van.
For lightweight stuff, Royal Mail is my preference, but if it goes over the max weight for them and ends up with Parcel Farce then it always takes longer and often arrives looking like it's been used as a football.
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couriers don't called ShittyLink, Parcel Farce, and D.H.Hell for no reason!

I once didn't get a box of Cat5 cable as they delivered to number 17 (next door) instead of 15 (new estate where there are no number 13s - my "other" next door is 11) - despite us having a big "15" on our door (and "17" on the door they delivered to). It was only when I called them to find out where it was that I found out it had been delivered. Crying or Very sad

Then there are the ones that don't knock or ring the bell and take it back with them. And the ones that deliver in the 15 mins you pop down the town or pick someone up. Or the ones that get "mis-routed" in the network (a classic CityLink one). On one occassion I ended up with a CPU, RAM, HD and DVD drive on the monday and had to wait until tuesday to get the motherboard and case (Shuttle). Evil or Very Mad
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems others have raised here relate to when things go wrong. My gripe with Amtrak is, that is what happens when things go right!!!

As far as using my work address, I may be away from my workstation when they arrive, and I have had computer stuff mixed up with "official" orders.

As for Parcel Farce, I've not had problems with them, yet! But I've just ordered from Pixmania and they've e-mailed me back to tell me they use them, so let's see...

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
As far as using my work address, I may be away from my workstation when they arrive, and I have had computer stuff mixed up with "official" orders.

Ah, that's one of the benefits of working for a small company - all the deliveries come to me anyway Smile
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit risky for me getting personal stuff delivered to work (a school).. however convenient it is. There are lots of people and CCTV cameras who would question why I was walking out the door with a nice new TFT monitor or whatever.. Embarassed
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, my gripe is with companies that make it next to impossible to get items delivered to my work address. I know I won't be at home, so this is what I try to get and if they won't offer it, or require me to jump through too many hoops, they don't get the order. On the up side, I have had very little trouble with any of the carriers mentioned who have delivered to my place of work - just occasionally the delivery will be incomplete as they have left one of the boxes at the depot Rolling Eyes

Other pet gripe is with carriers who will not post small items through the letter box, despite the fact that, in my view, they are safer on my side of the door than back in their van.
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worse one was paying an extra 10 for next day delivery that missed me by 20 minutes, I then went to the post office which closed at 1pm! Ok I though a bit of a waste of money, I won't do that again, so went down the post office the next day, what did they say 'you owe us 50p' what the @+~#&*&%$&*' had to pay it anyway, otherwise I wouldn't of gotten my nice new motherboard and graphics card...but I was sooooo pi*&^ssed!!

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what did they say 'you owe us 50p'

Now that i know for a fact must have been Parcel Farce, I had the same thing happen to me, to make it worse not only did they cahrge me 50p but they also took my nice new exteranl Hard Drive to the wrong bloody post office! In the end I spent the best part of the day going to all the post offices within 5 miles of me trying to work out whihc 1 it had gone to. The obvious thing of course would be to phone the dleivery depot and say where has it gone, but I got confronted with we cant release those details over the phone, you will need to come to the Depot and prove who you are. The Depot is about 7 miles from my house, and as I am currently stuck on my push bike, no way am I going that distance.
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben your are spot on, it was Parcel Force....

shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, figured as much, Ive had all too many problems with them. Ive had a parcel marked handle with utmost care turn up soggy and torn, luckily the person who sent it had the foresight to put it in cellophane wrapping
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest when Parcel Force left their note did you contact them about having it delivered to work? It cost me 15 to get a parcel sent from Malaysia to me, and just to deliver 3 miles up the road instead of my house Parcel Farce wanted 5.50!! Whenever I buy somethign now I have taken to contacting whoever is sending it and finding out whihc courier they use
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no choice with mine, as I buy a lot of items from dabs.com and they always send parcel force. I wish they would realise that most people have jobs, can't they just work say from 5am till 7am and then from 5.00pm till 12pm...

lol!!

shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, or they could at least contact you and say we will be there at 2pm is this convenient? They used to let you leave a signed note in the garage or somewhere and they would take that as proof of delivery , but now its all computerised they wont.
bigjohn
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, venom in some of these replies!

Look, it's a fact that historically we've been spoiled by a relatively good mail system. In these days of "e-commerce" - where all the marketing/spin for greedy companies is about how good/efficient/wonderful they are - that cut each others throats for the business - and I can assure you that while most of you seem to have examples of various companies NOT getting it right - if you used insurance and the delivery instructions then you're usually pretty safe.

The problem is that we mainly use online sources for such stuff because WE WANT IT CHEAPER and WE WANT IT NOW! But you seem to have forgotten one thing - YOU, are just "joe customer" i.e. an individual - these concerns aren't set up to benefit you, they're set up to service business - all the gloss of how caring/sharing they are is just that, Gloss.

You just happen to be the end of the chain.

Unfortunately, this often ends up in poor "customer service". Even though you aren't actually the customer. If you try to follow the delivering company instructions and can't arrange delivery - then get hold of the supplier and moan like hell.

Pay for stuff with credit cards - then if it's charged and the stuff not delivered, then within reason, you can pull the strings of the card issuer - I can assure you they have much more clout that you are ever likely to have (unless you happen to be very famous or your name is Bill Gates). They only respond to attacks on their revenue stream - it's the only medicine they really understand (that and bad publicity).

So you can always collate stories of bad service (the worse the better, if thats not too much of an oxymoron), then build the site - make the criticisms and refer it to the IT press and websites. "They" don't like that.

Failing that, pay me 500 plus diesel (my regular "company vehicle" does about 8 mpg - though the less weight, the more efficient), and I'll rent a truck and trailer and deliver it to you directly. Temperature controlled if necessary (-35 to +8 Very Happy ). All you have to do is use the delivery instructions on the order, and explain to your neighbours why you have a 55ft long "unit and trailer" parked outside your house Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: