Accounts Software

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Accounts Software

Postby redbranch » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:13 pm

I think I remember a reader letter a few months back asking for suggestions for small business accounts software which runs on Linux. I could use something like this myself and would appreciate some recommendations/comparisons even if these are web-based, commercial proprietary or via Wine. I would like something that can output nice invoices and keep track of them and total money in / money out.

While I am here I would also appreciate some suggestions on software for drawing networks. I look enviously at Windows users with Visio eye-candy server art.

Thanks in advance,
jonny
redbranch

RE: Accounts Software

Postby johnhudson » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:55 am

Have a look at Nola Pro; not sure if it will do everything you want but it is free to download http://www.nolapro.com/index-5.html

No eye-candy but very efficient for things like drawing networks - xfig
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:45 am

There are another couple of Linux options:

* SQL-Ledger® ERP
* LedgerSMB
ollie

Postby barf » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:42 am

I looked into this about 4 years ago and discovered Quanta. Its a very comprehensive business accounting package with free and pay for options. I only did the most basic of testing on it but it if it performs as well as the developers claim it should be a winner. Head over to http://www.linuxcanada.com/ for full details. I think I'll go for a visit myself ':idea:'
barf

Re: RE: Accounts Software

Postby ollie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:37 am

barf wrote:I looked into this about 4 years ago and discovered Quanta. Its a very comprehensive business accounting package with free and pay for options. I only did the most basic of testing on it but it if it performs as well as the developers claim it should be a winner. Head over to http://www.linuxcanada.com/ for full details. I think I'll go for a visit myself ':idea:'

:lol: - That's Quasar for accounting, Quanta is for web editing. Quasar is also quite expensive once you get away from a single client and need Point of Sale or more than one connection to Quasar.
ollie

Re: RE: Accounts Software

Postby barf » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:07 am

ollie wrote::lol: - That's Quasar for accounting, Quanta is for web editing. Quasar is also quite expensive once you get away from a single client and need Point of Sale or more than one connection to Quasar.

:oops: Your absolutely correct, sorry about that, slip of the synapse.
barf

Postby OnlyTheTony » Wed May 20, 2009 3:26 pm

Have you looked at Accountz?

www.accountz.com

It is a commerical product but works cross-platform and appears to be able to do invoicing, vat return etc.

I think they advertise in Linux Format too!
OnlyTheTony
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu May 21, 2009 8:36 am

And we had the demo version of Business Accountz on the LXF119 DVD too.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

MYOB

Postby alan404 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:26 am

It pays to search before you post! I've just mooched over hear with the intention of asking about small business accounts. Scary reason why is to follow, so look away now if you are of a nervous disposition. I've used MYOB on Mac and Windows for about 11 or 12 years (and I've been using Linux for 5 or 6). It's excellent and does everything I need. I upgraded a few times at £99 a go, but that was fine. Anyway the company was bought out by Mamut software, who have their own accounts package. They've been trying to get me to upgrade for a "support package" of £300- 400 per year - not sure of the exact amount as it it way too much for me anyway. You can't simply buy the software, you have to "subscribe". I had a look at their website to see if they had plans for MYOB and oh yes they do! December 2010 they will turn off the MYOB "authentication server" and all MYOB files will then become read only.
So please be careful with (closed source) software you rely on and have got very fast at using! Hopefully I'll find something suitable on Linux. I've had a go with Gnucash and Quasar and neither even came close to what I have now. I'll try the suggestions here and report back.
alan404

Postby Marv » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:38 pm

anyone got any updates for this issue please?
background:
i used an old, unupdated, version of quickbooks ... until i lost my hd, the install diskettes (yes, that old) were unreadable and the diskette backup images were on the same faulty hd. that was when i vowed to never use windoze again. so i moved to linux and spent ages trying to find anything that would calculate my uk vat & tax - all terrible! eventually i had to buy an old refurbished dell just so i could use the free version of qb. i'm virtually retired, so i it's not worth me buying a new package.
i'm surprised there isn't an accounts package written in Libre/Open Base ... or Access.
please help.
cheers,
Marvin
Marv

Postby johnhudson » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:14 pm

The fundamental problem is that there are four VAT rates in the UK and different arrangements for VAT in other EU countries; so it isn't practical to create a universal program that does what you want.

Have a look at http://www.skipole.plus.com/vatstuff/ which was demonstrated at the Bradford GNU/LUG some time ago and which may meet your needs.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby alan404 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Hello again. I tried Business Accountz and it was good so I bought it. Yes it is closed source, but it works well and is easy to use. It handles VAT extremely well and there is even a "one button VAT return" which will automatically submit it for you. Of course there are things that are a bit different from MYOB. My biggest problem is only having an 'online' HTML manual and not a pdf version that you can print or read on the train. Also not everything is in the manual and sometimes you have to search the forum. The accounts reconciling is a bit clunky - you have to really watch you don't go wrong as it is hard to go back to where you just were with it. (It's "rolling" rather than monthly statement based.) But I've been using this since April now and I would buy it again. There have been several small updates, but no hint of anything paid-for yet. The support is excellent too - they even have a Linux area of the help forum.
alan404

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs