Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book Review: Beginning Blender

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jobex

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Book Review: Beginning Blender Reply with quote

Does anyone at Linux Format ever check the viability of what you publish in your articles? Your review of "Beginning Blender" in LXF153 gives a score of 9/10 for this book and seems to me, therefore, to suggest I go out and buy it. However, it is not available in my local bookshop nor in Waterstones. The recommended retail price is 39.49 but the only copies, other than ebooks, I have been able to find are from Amazon at 569.92 new or 287.99 used. Presumably it is out of print and unavailable. So why publish a review in these circumstances? This is not the first time that something you suggest hasn't been possible, e.g. more than once you have said that a piece of software can be downloaded and simply installed only for me to find that the installation leads to dependency hell! Rather more "validation" seems to be required.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try here, it doesn't say anything about availability though.
EBooks are a viable option for many though, so it oughtn't disqualify a book from being reviewed.
jobex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Book Review: Beginning Blender Reply with quote

Quote:
You could try here, it doesn't say anything about availability though.
EBooks are a viable option for many though, so it oughtn't disqualify a book from being reviewed.

Thanks for a prompt response Rhakios and apologies for my delay in replying. I did submit a reply earlier but it seems to have gone astray. I was hoping my wife would buy a copy for me for Xmas but now she's given up on it. I might consider an e-book version but I do not have a e-reader. Even so the book plus a Kindle would be cheaper than the price Amazon is quoting for the hard copy, even a second-hand one.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon's Kindle software runs with Wine, so you can read Kindle ebooks on your computer.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: