Book Review: Beginning Blender

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby jobex » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Does anyone at Linux Format ever check the viability of what you publish in your articles? Your review of "Beginning Blender" in LXF153 gives a score of 9/10 for this book and seems to me, therefore, to suggest I go out and buy it. However, it is not available in my local bookshop nor in Waterstones. The recommended retail price is £39.49 but the only copies, other than ebooks, I have been able to find are from Amazon at £569.92 new or £287.99 used. Presumably it is out of print and unavailable. So why publish a review in these circumstances? This is not the first time that something you suggest hasn't been possible, e.g. more than once you have said that a piece of software can be downloaded and simply installed only for me to find that the installation leads to dependency hell! Rather more "validation" seems to be required.
jobex

Postby Rhakios » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:04 pm

You could try here, it doesn't say anything about availability though.
EBooks are a viable option for many though, so it oughtn't disqualify a book from being reviewed.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby jobex » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:35 am

You could try here, it doesn't say anything about availability though.
EBooks are a viable option for many though, so it oughtn't disqualify a book from being reviewed.

Thanks for a prompt response Rhakios and apologies for my delay in replying. I did submit a reply earlier but it seems to have gone astray. I was hoping my wife would buy a copy for me for Xmas but now she's given up on it. I might consider an e-book version but I do not have a e-reader. Even so the book plus a Kindle would be cheaper than the price Amazon is quoting for the hard copy, even a second-hand one.
jobex

Postby nelz » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:38 am

Amazon's Kindle software runs with Wine, so you can read Kindle ebooks on your computer.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs