Why exclude RHEL and SLES from SMB roundup

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Why exclude RHEL and SLES from SMB roundup

Postby markdean » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Just a quick question...

why did Shashank Sharma not include RHEL and SLES in the roundup (LXF153)? I realize it's listed under the "Also consider..." section, but why not part of the testing? From a business standpoint, I'd want to know not just that support is offered, but how good is it? With RHEL and SLES, both do that for a living and support both small and large corporations every day, and the times I've had to call, there's been a competent engineer on the other end of the phone.

After all, when you are in a business setting, you really want both the support and the distro to be something you can rely on. Otherwise, you'd just download Slackware and be done with it :-)

These both are really aimed at the business market, both SMB and enterprise. As far as support costs, both of these distros are more than reasonable-and are not far off from the prices for support listed for the distros that were listed. And I'm not saying the others aren't. It's just interesting that the two main 'business oriented' distros were not considered.
- Mark Dean
markdean

Postby linuxlala » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi Mark,

As you rightly point out both RHEL and SLES are the most popular
enterprise distros out there. But I don't think we'd have done them
justice in this roundup for SMB distros. Both RHEL and SLES can scale
way beyond the capabilities of a SMB -- IBM's Watson runs on SLES.

What we were looking for were distros available that can be had for no
cost and their comprehensibility, and how easy it is to roll common
SMB tools (LDAP Directory Server, DNS Server, Print Server) on top of
them. RHEL and SLES would have been an overkill.

Shashank
linuxlala

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Just to add my twopennorth, RHEL and SLES are prerequisites for many third party business offerings. For example our IBM UniVerse based CRM package will only support installation on RHEL, SLES or Windows.
We are a small (around 30 employees) company, so maybe the OP has a point.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Then perhaps we can look forward to a future comparative review of enterprise class paid-for distros?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Not really, we use RHEL because that is their favoured distro., not tried SLES, nor likely to, I'm afraid.
Although anyone can sign up for a 30 day trial.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:54 pm

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that you write it, more, given the above complaints, that such an article might be welcome to some readers. Even though i don't need any such thing myself, I think it would be interesting to see something like this.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs