The Strange Birth and Long Life of Unix - Unix Turns 40

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

The Strange Birth and Long Life of Unix - Unix Turns 40

Postby PLan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:40 pm

They say that when one door closes on you, another opens. People generally offer this bit of wisdom just to lend some solace after a misfortune. But sometimes it's actually true. It certainly was for Ken Thompson and the late Dennis Ritchie, two of the greats of 20th-century information technology, when they created the Unix operating system, now considered one of the most inspiring and influential pieces of software ever written.

Rest of article ...

Interesting article from over at ieee Spectrum. :)
PLan

Postby johnhudson » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:57 pm

The interesting thing now is that everyone thought the way ahead would be Pascal - and universities continued to teach Pascal long after it become clear it would not be.

Instead UNIX's development platform and the C language has spawned several completely new industries, not just the one built around Linux but also Java which underpins Android.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby PLan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:23 pm

johnhudson wrote:The interesting thing now is that everyone thought the way ahead would be Pascal - and universities continued to teach Pascal long after it become clear it would not be.

I never really took to Pascal, but then I'm the type of person who enjoyed COBOL. :shock:
PLan

Postby Bazza » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi PLan...

> I never really took to Pascal, but then I'm the type of person who enjoyed
> COBOL. Shocked

;oD

Boy, am I glad I can't code... ;o)

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Return to Discussion