Can any wi-fi card acts as an AP?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Can any wi-fi card acts as an AP?

Postby kvonh » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 am

I have found an 'ADD-GWP110' wifi card in my box of bits. I remember this working fine as a 'client' for my home wifi a few years back. My question is whether I would be able to rig this to operate as an access point, and if so, whether there's anything special I need to know. For example: do Access Point thingies need special harware to cope with multiple-simultaneous connections/channels or whatever.

I hope this is isn't too dumb a question - I tend to bottom-out on rewiring a toaster...!

Any top tips very welcome.

James
kvonh

Postby dandnsmith » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:22 am

My, possibly simple minded, view of this project is that you need to think about the software on the PC in which you install the card.
You'll need routing, DHCP server, firewall setup at the very least (but you could get away with the DHCP as long as you have somewhere which can handle DHCP requests from clients).

I think you'll also need to work out the authentication bits (about which I haven't a clue at this moment).
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby kvonh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks for your response Derek. A little googling revealed that one needs a card that supports 'master mode' - and my one doesn't. So that card is back in the bottomless box of bits for the time being. Your comments about DHCP/routing/firewalling/encryption are all duly noted though!
Cheers
James
kvonh

Return to Hardware