Time to fork the FSF?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:17 am

guy wrote:As for the happy shiny-fashion-accessory collector

Can we please stop calling all Apple product users such things? It doesn't help our cause. If everyone who bought them got bored of them after a day and they were all on eBay at ridiculously low prices, you'd have a point.

But I read that the iPad has the highest customer satisfaction rate of any consumer electronics device ever, and I know people who absolutely love them. They get a lot out of them. Dismissing all these people in one fell-swoop like as "accessory collectors" shows a vast misunderstanding of what people really want in a portable computer, and makes us look totally out-of-touch.

If we want Linux to get beyond 1-2% desktop market share, we've got to understand what people really want to do with their computers, push our strengths, and not snidely dismiss everyone as "iSheep".

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:42 am

My sister loves her iPad because it "just works" and her grandchildren can help her use it :wink:
I have to say that I quite like it too, though I couldn't afford to buy one :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby guy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:04 pm

M-Saunders wrote:
guy wrote:As for the happy shiny-fashion-accessory collector

Can we please stop calling all Apple product users such things? It doesn't help our cause. If everyone who bought them got bored of them after a day and they were all on eBay at ridiculously low prices, you'd have a point.

But I read that the iPad has the highest customer satisfaction rate of any consumer electronics device ever, and I know people who absolutely love them. They get a lot out of them.

Which, actually, is the exact reason I described them as "happy".

Dismissing all these people in one fell-swoop like as "accessory collectors" shows a vast misunderstanding of what people really want in a portable computer, and makes us look totally out-of-touch.

Well, put one way, anything I routinely carry around is an accessory. Put another, I regard my collection of bleepy things as functional accessories to a lifestyle that can in fact exist without them. Is that so harsh? If your lifestyle cannot, then fair enough - "jail" would be less apt than "drug".

That just leaves "shiny fashion". I trust you agree that Apple exert great effort in making their products shiny and fashionable.

If we want Linux to get beyond 1-2% desktop market share, we've got to understand what people really want to do with their computers, push our strengths, and not snidely dismiss everyone as "iSheep".

You should try counting them. ;-)
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Brian Hunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:33 pm

I enjoy Richard Stallman because I like people who are 'out there', in terms of societal norms, but I would never send my friends his way when talking about our wonderful world of FLOSS/Open Source/Free/Libre/Anything Else You Want To Call It world.

I know Stallman is the President of the FSF, but I have no idea what that actually means. What does he do for the FSF?

I think his conviction is admirable, but his confrontational and unapologetic behaviour does rub many the wrong way. I wouldn't want to sit beside him on a long bus journey, that's for sure.

Forking the FSF to get rid of Stallman seems a shallow goal. Would working with the FSF, while denouncing Stallman's statement(s), not give you the best of both worlds?
Brian Hunter

Previous

Return to Discussion