Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zotac ZBOX Mini-PC choice - advice requested

View previous topic :: View next topic  
droseraholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Zotac ZBOX Mini-PC choice - advice requested Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking for a small "nettop"-style PC to act as both an occasional "spare" desktop PC (actually my main one for a couple of months until I can get a new laptop - my current one failed last week!), and as a low-wattage home (and development) server, and am particularly interested in the following ZOTAC ZBOX models:

ZOTAC ZBOX ID41 - http://pden.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=318&category_id=118&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

ZOTAC ZBOX AD02 - http://pden.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=334&category_id=118&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

The ZBOX ID41 is a dual-core Atom D525 with ION2, and ZBOX AD02 is a dual-core AMD E-350 APU Fusion System (Zacate). With both of these, you have to add RAM, a Hard Drive and install your own OS. Both models are of interest to me as they include both eSATA and USB 3.0 ports.

On paper, the AD02 has a better specification (RAM up to 8Gb, CPU that supports AMD-V virtualisation [so better VirtualBox performance? Useful to me], also reviews say the performance of Zacate is better than Atom, etc), but as I understand it, the Atom + Ion2 is better supported by Linux (at least currently). Both systems here in the UK are about the same price (180 to 190) from various suppliers.

My main question is: which of these 2 would be the better choice to run under Linux, in particular Ubuntu? I understand the AMD system is newer so has less support at the moment, but would Ubuntu 11.04 install without major issues? I normally stick to LTS releases, but would be happy to install 11.04, and 11.10 later, before moving on to 12.04 LTS next year.

Also, I believe that nVidia currently has better hardware acceleration under Linux, but is AMD is likely to catch up eventually? Will AMD/ATI graphics eventually support Adobe Flash hardware acceleration in future?

Many thanks for any advice and help.

Adam. Smile
droseraholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just replying to my own post - in the end I got the ZBOX AD02 (AMD E-350), and crammed it with 8Gb DDR3 RAM and a 1Tb 2.5" drive, the whole lot came to less than 300, and it makes a great low energy test / development home & small office server, plus acting as a spare desktop PC (I've added a USB DVD-Writer too). The addition of 2 x USB3 ports and an eSATA port is a bonus when it comes to backups and expanding the storage capacity.

I currently have Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bit) installed, and will upgrade through 11.10 until 12.04 LTS and (hopefully!) stay with LTS releases from that point onwards (will install non-LTS Ubuntu, other Linux distros & Windows in VirtualBox VMs).

Adam. Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: