Custom Ubuntu LXF150

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Custom Ubuntu LXF150

Postby jdp407 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:20 pm

In the article on creating a custom Ubuntu ISO in LXF150, it was mentioned that the necessary commands to update the files in 'cd_root' would be included on the disk. I cannot, however, find these commands! Can anyone tell me what commands to use?
jdp407

Postby heiowge » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Sorry, but I can't, but I was unclear why the article went overboard to show us how to customise Ubuntu the complicated way, then as an asside say Oh, you can do it graphically as well and it's much easier.

Why not just show us the easy method? :?
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Oops!

Postby jonrob » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:42 am

Hey,

Mike just pointed me to this thread. I'm very sorry for never actually sending him the code to put on the disc, complete brain freeze on my part! Anyway, for those who are looking for it, here's what you need:

Code: Select all
chmod +w work/cd-root/casper/filesystem.manifest
sudo chroot edit dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Package} ${Version}\n' > work/cd-root/casper/filesystem.manifest
sudo cp work/cd-root/casper/filesystem.manifest work/cd-root/casper/filesystem.manifest-desktop
sudo sed -i '/ubiquity/d' work/cd-root/casper/filesystem.manifest-desktop
sudo sed -i '/casper/d' work/cd-root/casper/filesystem.manifest-desktop

printf $(sudo du -sx --block-size=1 edit | cut -f1) > work/cd-root/casper/filesystem.size

cd work/cd-root
sudo rm md5sum.txt
find -type f -print0 | sudo xargs -0 md5sum | grep -v isolinux/boot.cat | sudo tee md5sum.txt

Once again, sorry! Also, I know I showed the hard way and then mentioned that you can do it easily with a graphical tool, but I always think it's good to know how things work as well as knowing how to work them :-)
jonrob
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs