Postby PCNetSpec » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:52 pm

No, (to test it) you need to add it to the kernel boot line in GRUB

See here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... uring_Boot

you need to add vesa=791 after quiet splash

so the end of that line reads

quiet splash vga=791

Then hit Ctrl+X to boot.

This will NOT survive a reboot, but if you're sure it helps... I'll tell you how to make it permanent.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Months later, the same problem persists.

Unfortunately PCNetSpecs' excellent instructions are still beyond my rudimentary Linux skills, so until I can find my brave pills and give it a go, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? ( Monitor going in to sleep mode)

The original monitor that came with the PC, the one I prefer, still goes to sleep mode every now and then when I start up, stating 'no VGA Input'. I can boot up the PC and monitor every day for weeks and there's no problem and then for a few days it'll be a case of switching off and on tens of times until the screen kicks into life. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it? Not a massive drama but definitely irritating.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:06 am

Does your video card also get its power from the PSU via lead with either 4 or 6 pin connector.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby greg.d » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:23 pm

Does your monitor have a DVI input? Could you get hold of a DVI cable and plug DVI - DVI directly, would test the monitor input then.
Sounds to me as if the monitor is on its way out. One of mine had a similar thing, it would just switch off and wouldn't come back on, or would continuously switch on and off over and over.
greg.d

Previous

Return to Help!