LXF147 - Debian/LXDE

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF147 - Debian/LXDE

Postby pixtu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:50 pm

I have tried installing Debian 6/LXDE from the LXF147 Cover disk and I am experiencing a difficult problem to solve.

I am installing into a VM (Virtual Machine Manager 0.8.2) on Ubuntu 10.04 64bit with nVidia graphics.

The installation appears to complete and indeed, I can boot and login to the LXDE desktop and at this stage, everything is OK. However, as soon as I open an application such as a terminal window or the file manager, the application window starts to move right and down in very rapid but small steps (effectively a continual flickering movement). Once the window has gone off the bottom of the screen, the taskbar then starts flashing rapidly and I can't gain control.

If I try and get to another login window with Ctrl-Alt Fn, I switch out of the VM window and back to my own host system control.

Because I can't get to a terminal, it is very difficult to investigate. I believe I could boot into a shell from the Grub menu, but don't know what to look for to correct the issue.

I have installed Mint (Gnome), Fedora (Gnome) and OpenSuse (KDE) in the same way, which all work OK, so it would appear to be something with Debian or more likely LXDE.

Does anyone have any ideas please?
pixtu

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:33 pm

I suspect it's an LXDE problem, I've seen the same with MINT LXDE.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

LXF147 Debian6-LDE - No Mouse Symbol

Postby julietalpha » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi LXF Experts!

Can someone please help me with LXF147 Debian6-LDE install? It is on an Acer TravelMate 240 laptop.

The live distro seems to boot up ok but without any mouse symbol, so I am stuck! I have added a USB mouse as well as the normal finger-slidy-pad mouse but no difference.

Is this a faulty DVD/Distro or is there a known problem with the software and or the Acer? Most other distro's seem to be ok.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.
julietalpha

Re: LXF147 Debian6-LDE - No Mouse Symbol

Postby Rhakios » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:27 pm

julietalpha wrote:Is this a faulty DVD/Distro or is there a known problem with the software and or the Acer? Most other distro's seem to be ok.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Not particularly likely, as a fairly old laptop the support for the components is quite mature. As you note, most other distros work fine.
Errors relating to cursor problems with the graphics chipset on that laptop (Intel852GME) seem to be no more recent than 2007. I suspect it's "just one of those things", where the automagical set up of Xorg has misconfigured things.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby julietalpha » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks for your reply Rhakios.

Meanwhile I downloaded the Debian 6 "Net Install" .iso from the Debian web-site and it went into my Acer TravelMate 240 laptop like a dream - no problems at all so far, therefore I think that it may be something to do with the 'Live' magazine DVD (LXF 147).

I also tried to install it onto my troublesome IBM ThinkPad 1161 (also known as a '1200 series'). It seemed to install perfectly, asked me to remove the CD and re-boot the machine, then just like all other distro's later than Ubuntu 6, hung up with a blank screen within seconds of starting to load from the hard disk.

I notice from other forums that a lot of people are having similar problems using distro's later than Ubuntu 6 (and derivitives with the later Kernal) with their ThinkPad's. I would guess that it is a kernal related problem - but as a Linux 'Newbe', I really have no clue, just an instinct.

If anyone has a solution for this, I would be grateful for some help, but realistically, I think that I will give up on it.
julietalpha

Postby lok1950 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:48 pm

It may be be related to what is called kernel mode switching which is a fairly new method for controlling display modes hence the black screen you might get some solutions by checking the Debian forums for that black screen after reboot it was an issue with fedora when they introduced mode switching a few releases back.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs