Arch Linux

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Arch Linux

Postby hal8000 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:06 pm

After 11 years of using Linux I had finally settled on using PCLinuxOS. Then after the fine article by Shashank Sharma in LXF146 I thought I'd try Arch Linux.

If you've used Slackware or Gentoo before the installation isn't too bad.

About Arch: Not only is it fast, but has all the latest packages (including community packages in the AUR). The arch forums are pretty active and the arch wiki a great source of information.

I would recommend giving Arch a try and thanks to Shashank for the Arch review.
hal8000

Installing Arch untill: "Cannot Continue. Going back ..

Postby fossiili » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:05 pm

I have some experience with many linux distributions and freeBSD and wanted to try Arch. I like to use the terminal because I started with PC's in the era of MS-DOS.

The using of 2010.05 installer from Linux Format DVD did not look difficult, but I must have done some stupid error :oops:

Whatever I do, after so called configure_system I get the message:
Cannot Continue. Going back to configure_system
You must do 'Configure System' first before
going here!.

I used the vi-editor and did not understand everything but modified some of the configuration files a little. In that case I used the vi-command "x". When only going through I used "q".

:?:
"It is only dementia (demens senilis)!"
- - - My loving daughter. - - -
fossiili

Postby Brian Hunter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:09 pm

I think I will give Arch a go over the weekend myself. Busying myself in the wiki at the moment to give myself a bit of heads up.
Brian Hunter

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs