Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arch Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hal8000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Arch Linux Reply with quote

After 11 years of using Linux I had finally settled on using PCLinuxOS. Then after the fine article by Shashank Sharma in LXF146 I thought I'd try Arch Linux.

If you've used Slackware or Gentoo before the installation isn't too bad.

About Arch: Not only is it fast, but has all the latest packages (including community packages in the AUR). The arch forums are pretty active and the arch wiki a great source of information.

I would recommend giving Arch a try and thanks to Shashank for the Arch review.
fossiili

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Installing Arch untill: "Cannot Continue. Going back .. Reply with quote

I have some experience with many linux distributions and freeBSD and wanted to try Arch. I like to use the terminal because I started with PC's in the era of MS-DOS.

The using of 2010.05 installer from Linux Format DVD did not look difficult, but I must have done some stupid error Embarassed

Whatever I do, after so called configure_system I get the message:
Quote:
Cannot Continue. Going back to configure_system
You must do 'Configure System' first before
going here!.

I used the vi-editor and did not understand everything but modified some of the configuration files a little. In that case I used the vi-command "x". When only going through I used "q".

Question
Brian Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will give Arch a go over the weekend myself. Busying myself in the wiki at the moment to give myself a bit of heads up.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: