AMD or INT

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

AMD or INT

Postby Robert109 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:30 pm

I was looking at parts for a nice pc build and 1 thing that Im unsure about is wat cpu to get amd or int....I want a perfect ballance for linux as my main os and windows for my gaming platform....wat would you choose? or is just fan boys bashing one over the other
I want to build summit that linux will work flawless on

heres the specs of a game ill be playing just to give you an idea
what Im building

Dawn Of War 2 Retribution Recommended System Requirements
CPU: Any Core 2 , Athlon X2, or better
Memory: 2GB RAM or higher (XP, Vista, Windows 7)
Video Card: 256 MB Video Card using Shader Model 3 (Nvidia GeForce 7800GT or any Nvidia GT200 series or better, ATI X1900 or any HD3600 series or better
Robert109

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:48 am

Doesn't really matter these days. Even when playing the most demanding videogame the proc still waits periodically for input, either from the user (you :P) or the rest of the system (video card, harddrive, etc).

AMD gives you more cycles for yer Pound, but Intel has the faster CPU. It's a matter of budget and personal preferences. If you're a gamer (and it sounds like you are) then invest in a better GPU then a CPU, as well as max-ing out the RAM and having an SSD as your main system drive (plus a large conventional one for storage). Have at least SATA-II connectors to attach the SSD to, SATA-III is not widely in use and difficult to find ATM. Alternatively, there are SSD solutions that mount a whole bunch of flash-chips on a PCIe card, giving even higher performance (but at a price, both in terms of pennies spend and storage available, although with the recommended separate storage drive this doesn't need to be too much of an issue)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Hardware