Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kits
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: kits Reply with quote

I've got some cash coming to me end of this year / start of next. One of the things on my to buy list is a new PC.

I fancy having a go at building my own. Here are my needs:

1) The kit must have a reasonable 64 bit processor (nothing cutting edge, but I don't want to go slower than my current 2.2Ghz Dual core Athlon 64)

2) The kit needs to support up to 4 x 2 Gb DDR2 or DDR3

3) At least 512 Mb nVidia Graphics card

4) At least 6 rear plus 2 front USB 2.0 ports

5) Fully compatible with Ubuntu 10.10 and no forced bundling of win7

6) A full set of build instructions in English and not in technical rubbish. I want the guide to assume I am a complete idiot! Laughing

I'm not asking anyone to find me the components (at least not atm! Wink ) but I was hoping someone could point me at an online shop where I can get the sort of thing I need and hold my hand a little. (ebuyer has the stuff, but no help with compatability). I'll probably end up with a processor that is incompatable with the motherboard I pick, or ram that doesn't work or whatever if left to my own devices.

I'm not looking to buy before christmas, but I want the chance for a good look at what's on offer and weigh up prices etc.

Any help would be awesome. Very Happy
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebuyer
offers bundles from time to time which are quite good, and all the components work together. You just need psu, case, cd/dvd and sometimes hdd.
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btb1234
has obviously caught the not reading bug from 1sf (troll) Evil or Very Mad

heiowge specifically said not ebuyer Rolling Eyes
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done business with Alternate in the past, but that wasn't the UK branch: http://www.alternate.eu/html/index.html?shop=gb

As for your choice of actual hardware, Intel might be fast, but AMD gives you more cycles for your pennies Wink RAM is relatively cheap but finding a housing that suits your requirements may be a bit more timeconsuming Wink
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have long preferred AMD over intel.

It's a nice site, but I was hoping for one that sold complete kits to assemble. Then I could look at the componant parts and see which kit was for me, and if it had upgrade options.

I could check each component for compatability, but would prefer a seller who had already done that and could attest to it's usability under linux.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case (sic Wink), this must be your first stop: http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, if you look at Linux Emporium's website in the section for their desktop hardware, the details section shows the hardware they are using. Quite useful one might think.
Of course, if you are a really nice person, you might actually buy a system from them. Wink
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kits aside, I'm drooling over this one...

http://shop.linuxemporium.co.uk/hardware/hardware-desktops/antec-ultimate-linux-desktop-computer-no-screen.html?SID=8b8ff0602d6a466d4cf9b19ae484f90b
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
btb1234
has obviously caught the not reading bug from 1sf (troll) (troll) Evil or Very Mad

heiowge specifically said not ebuyer Rolling Eyes

I gave it to him. I never read. Anything. Ever

But you could use the ebuyer kits as a starting point. It will help to tell you what hardware is compatible with what.

As for linux compatibility I have found everything I buy pc hardware works. Webcams, etc (Peripherals) I have to be more careful with.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:

http://shop.linuxemporium.co.uk/hardware/hardware-desktops/antec-ultimate-linux-desktop-computer-no-screen.html?SID=8b8ff0602d6a466d4cf9b19ae484f90b

Actually, what you're saying in your spec's (in the OP) is: "I wanna buy this one, give me reasons to justify it".... Rolling Eyes Confused Well, sorry, but you'd have to make that choice yourself...

I, and quite a few other regulars, can rig you a similar spec PC for less or a higher spec for about equal pennies. But you'd have to screw the thing together yourself and you don't have the support LE offers, like pre-installing Ubuntu.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats kinda what I had in mind. I want the spec or similar. I just don't currently have the know how to pick the parts or assemble it. I hope to get help picking the parts, and pick up the experience as I go.

Yes, I like that PC and I could probably justify buying it. I'd rather build one (preferably for less) though.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, you want to get it done before January.
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all. If fact, I doubt I will have the cash by then.

I'm waiting on an accident claim from last year. I've jumped throught a ton of hoops now and it's finally in the last stage, just waiting for an offer from the other company. If they decide not to offer or my insurance company recommends I reject the offer, that could extend it all a chunk, but it's all pretty straight forward.
ollie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:

That's similar to my 4-year old desktop (Intel Q6600) so I'm slightly confused. A more cutting edge computer would be based on an Intel i7 which run at 2.8 - 3.2 GHz. I have long preferred AMD CPUs but they have dropped the ball lately. I'm not sure if the purchase of ATI has caused these problems but it seemed to happen around the same time. ATI graphics have also gone backwards in the same time frame. Of course I'm only talking from the Linux aspect for this hardware.

IMHO you would be better off researching the individual components, trying to keep motherboard and graphics card from the same manufacturer. You have picked a good starting point with an Antec case and power supply, now look at the motherboard manufacturers and pick a motherboard with the chipsets that function best with Linux. As suggested earlier use the LinuxQuestions.org HCL and learn about your future hardware.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heiowge wrote:
Not at all. If fact, I doubt I will have the cash by then.

Oh well, don't forget to bump the VAT up to 20% for any purchases then.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: