New Linux Box Build

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

New Linux Box Build

Postby JohnA1954 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:58 pm

I am thinking of building a new box based on AMD 6 core processor and Asus M4A88T-M/USB3 motherboard and 6Gb RAM. Has anyone had any recent experience in building with the above or can recommend a suitable board for AMD multicore processors. Looking for onboard video (HDMI out) and USB 3. Will not be used for gaming just want to treat myself to a fast machine.
Appreciate your comments
Thanks
John
JohnA1954

Postby PCNetSpec » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:13 pm

This should be helpful...

http://linux.co.uk/2010/08/building-a-beast/
and early RAID-10 throughput figures, which he later improved upon... not that it was needed.
http://linuxforums.org.uk/hardware-comp ... /#msg26912

Pretty much exactly what you are after, and I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

[EDIT]
I forgot to add, he's built (at least) 2 more since that one.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:23 am

I've build a rig last year, based on the AMD Phenom II X4 965. Has 16 GB DDR3 RAM, houses in a 2U box (IPC-C2SB) and has a 32 GB SSD as a systemdisk. Re-used two WD 500GB SATA from another rig, had to install a videocard as the mainboard (Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5) didn't have onboard video (overlooked that :() Chances are you can build the same rig for less then what I've paid for it. Oh, I forgot the PCIe risercard for the videocard... The housing has horizontal slots, so it's advised to look for a mainboard with onboard video if you want to use the same case...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby JohnA1954 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:16 am

Many thanks PCNetSpec and Dutch Master for your replies. That rig looks awesome. A bit too high end for my needs but my main question was answered in that the Asus motherboard works ok with Linux. Now need to save up and get building.
Thanks
again

John
JohnA1954

Return to Hardware