Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spying on yourself

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Spying on yourself Reply with quote

My cousin got burgled just before christmas while she was on holiday. They packed all the best stuff into her bmw and drove off. Surprisingly they left the presents under the tree (for what that's worth)!

It got me a little paranoid so I started googling around and found http://preyproject.com/
Nice concept. It creates a nice honeytrap guest account for your light fingered friend to reveal himself.

I've also set up an account with dyndns.com and am figuring out how to get OpenSSh running. A video from another post here inspired to do that.
Captain_Tux
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this the video?

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=10362

Motivated me to make some changes also...
leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Tux wrote:
Was this the video?

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=10362

Motivated me to make some changes also...
Yes, that one and thanks for the link. I never knew about the site Smile
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prey really is a good tool.
Make sure that you have the serial numbers though

leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Prey really is a good tool.
Make sure that you have the serial numbers though
Yeah, I needed to ask this. The serial number for my eee has rubbed off! Is there any way to determine the SN by entering a linux command?
ollie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the script developed by Dutch_Master the serial number of my laptops has been displayed on both my old Asus laptop and my new Alienware laptop. Hopefully it works for other brands too.

You can read about the script and download it at What does Linux know about your hardware?
leke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ollie wrote:
Using the script developed by Dutch_Master the serial number of my laptops has been displayed on both my old Asus laptop and my new Alienware laptop. Hopefully it works for other brands too.

You can read about the script and download it at What does Linux know about your hardware?

That's a really nice script. I tested it on my HP laptop, but I'm just in between distros at the moment for the eee after having problems installing crunchbang. I'm confident it will do the job though Smile
jago25_98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than Prey,
there was an article in Micromart last month about IP cameras. You can certainly setup a remote monitoring server with linux and activated screenshots sent over email. You can even have this with embedded firmware, though I think something like a Pogoplug and webcam is better because, if there's an exploit for a camera in the future you might not be able to update the firmware... as firmware is usually closed source.

-j
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you liked it, I wrote it. Did you notice the coyote and the Penguin in the screenshots? Smile
I use Zoneminder on my HTPC to monitor both an IP camera outside and a webcam inside, emails to an external address as well.

jago25_98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was a good article.

I like Micromart exactly because of articles like those. In fact I bought it just for that article.

I really can't stand bigger more expensive magazines with all the cruft. Mags like PC Pro. Nice mag, well written but a bit formal. Is a news section really needed? And all those glossy pages. Some (wink) magazines are coming in at 6.50 these days and you think to yourself, `do I really want to spend over an hour at minimum wage for this impulse buy?` There's about another 6 other magazines all covering related interest and you think to yourself `crikey, I can only justify buying one really`.

With Micromart it's cheap, which I like. Nice rough pages.
Yet all the stuff in there has the same feel as LinuxFormat, you can imagine the person writing it is talking to you personally; it's not a technical impersonal tone.
I kind of wish there was something that was a mix of linuxformat and micromart really. Micromart has to cater for closed source software running people (the pirate masses mostly), yet LinuxFormat is Linux, which I'm sure holds it back. Then again there's Magazines like Wired. I have been known to buy all 3 to cover that geek interest. There's not really anything that covers everything, a slashdot mag for example. Closest thing to that I guess is Wired. But wired doesn't have enough linux in it.

I reckon there should be a true UK competitor to Wired (in terms of scope) runs by the LugRadio type crowd.

Thus, although there's Linux mags to choose from and mags like wired I often end up just buying Micromart even though it's nothing like the linux mags. It needs more articles like yours.

The classifieds section has kind of changed so much... a bit odd. I wonder if there might be a way to get that to make sense again... I could only see it really working if the mag was regional like Autotrader. At the moment the main thing is that ebay is such a pain, it's nice to be able to just put an ad in a paper as normal, like Gumtree. I'm sure this has been talked about before.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou.
I have written Linux only articles for MM in the past, but these days I have to include both Windows and Linux options to make it more acceptable to the main audience.
(There's a home automation article by me in this week's that covers LinuxMCE etc.)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: