Want advice from team on getting my organisation going

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Want advice from team on getting my organisation going

Postby comcamel » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:26 pm

I am only 14, so in the Uk i have no chance to vote, so i have set up a site that allows any one, from any age to suggest ideas or comments on how the country's is maintained. From this in the future prizes will be awarded. This i have set, up doing alot of code hacking on the mambo core, so that it allowed me to do a lot of it. I want to learn application programming, but for now it is php. Anyway i am wanting to get the word around about this: i cannot afford costs of advertising on the internet in the magazines and the only thing i can plan to do is somehow produce leaflets or panflets that i will give out in he closes city, which i rarely go to. I am wondering if the team can give me advice, as i have emailed, channel 4 bbc, loads of newspapers, blank reply and i am stuck on ice. Or possibly mentioning it in the magazine would be great.

MY site is bsay.co.uk ,i am hoping the idealogy of Linux can help get my site grow and i am looking for a team possibly. Great magazine, hope you can help! Thanks Luke
comcamel
LXF regular

RE: Want advice from team on getting my organisation going

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:42 am

Good idea for the site Luke -- young people should have more of a say. However, it needs some polish and tidying before you can get noticed by the media. Get someone to proof-read the main pages (especially the front page which has a lot of typos) and perhaps avoid stuff like this:

"A simple and straight forward answer is that the Britsh government aswell as the County Councils, are simply pathetic in getting what is right for Britian."

Hey, I'm the first to rant about poor performance from the government, but just calling them outright "pathetic" could appear angry and biased. Focus on issues and flaws in the govt rather than name-calling and attacks.

OTOH, you could easily describe the railway system as 'pathetic', as well as 'dire', 'abysmal' and 'actionably incompetent' :-)

Good luck!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: RE: Want advice from team on getting my organisation goi

Postby Nigel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:52 am

M-Saunders wrote:OTOH, you could easily describe the railway system as 'pathetic', as well as 'dire', 'abysmal' and 'actionably incompetent' :-)

Ouch - sounds like someone's been travelling on First Great Western recently...

I would add "extortionate" to that list :evil:
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Want advice from team on getting my organisation

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:43 pm

FGW has been mostly acceptable for me. When heading back up north, I have to suffer the hilariously poor Virgin Trains, with its staggering 66% punctuality rate. Yes, one in three trains is more than 15 mins late -- which is just dandy for connections. Harumph.

And too right about the price. According to the Rail Passengers Council, UK fares are three times the average western European price for the same distance. And they have the TGV... Humbug to the nationwide enforcement of 125 MPH max speed. Double humbug to EWS for buying 300+ Class 66 locomotives which can only do 75 MPH, clogging up the lines.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:43 pm

right i have made the frontpage less aggressive changing pathetic, but people don't want to signup. However your idea is no good on here, but on there. However, where could i get it advertised for free or what ways could i get my site spread, this would be greatful and i am currently got something i have to developed but am waiting, for people to join up, i cannot seem to get any reply from news sites.

I would be greatful if the magazine could help organisations going by displaying information about them. Where only if they use opensource stuff, like i used mambo and wanting to migrate to joomla, but isn't posible, yet whilst some of teh graphics used gimp. This would be similar to Lug of the Month, who get support. This would be cool. Anyway adivce would be greatful, or someone who can help.

thanks a bunch Luke!
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:56 pm

Good luck with the new site Luke, looks good.

But WTF does this mean?

" * The government haven't got anything, well at least as we know an 'e-government' including other organisations and people. "
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:22 pm

egovernment was been developed in scotland a few weeks ago, maybe i should take it off, as probably no one understands what it means but basically is a site that is related to governement activities. ANy ideas to advertise it.
comcamel
LXF regular

Re: RE: Want advice from team on getting my organisation goi

Postby CJLL » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:26 pm

M-Saunders wrote:OTOH, you could easily describe the railway system as 'pathetic', as well as 'dire', 'abysmal' and 'actionably incompetent' :-)

M

Those are the very same words I used to describe BT Friday evening when I arrived home to find my phone line dead. Well those words and a liberal sprinking of prophanity :roll:
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:38 pm

oh well, however i am just wanting any help on how i can get people to find my site and use it any ideas on that, as the problem with me i can never get a site going, i once made a game site however it got no hits even putting it at the near top on google search only until i posted it on the game developers site. Any ideas how i can spread the word.
comcamel
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Want advice from team on getting my organisa

Postby ollie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:48 am

M-Saunders wrote:Virgin Trains, with its staggering 66% punctuality rate. Yes, one in three trains is more than 15 mins late -- which is just dandy for connections. Harumph.

You complain about trains - try the Sydney, Australia, railway network - 66% are late on good days. The latest way they are trying to fix it is to reduce the number of trains and slow down all the trains that do run. :roll: :wink:
ollie

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Want advice from team on getting my orga

Postby MartyBartfast » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:58 pm

Comcamel,

you could try metioning it in a few usenet newsgroups, e.g. uk.politics, and any others that might be related to any active discussions on your site. If you do this be aware that many groups take a dim view of people 'advertising' their own websites so it would be wise to check the groups FAQ and checkout the mood of the group before posting.

Also you might try knocking together a "press release" and send it through to the folks at http://www.theregister.com/ , they might be interested.

One thing I would say is (& this might be openning up a can of worms but...) at first sight your site looks like something to do with the BNP or something similarly nationalistic, i.e. the Union Flag, the Bulldog, & the first paragraph about it being referred to as British Say....
Now I'm not taking a political stance as to whether or not this reflects your views, or whether or not a nationalistic attitude is good or bad, however if you're trying to get people to buy into your idea and then advertise or promote it for you then you are running the risk of putting them off the minute they open the homepage, if this happens then you've lost them....

Best of luck with the project,

Martyn
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:16 pm

thanks for the idea of sending it to register, i will see what i can do however probably will be hard. The idea of it being related to the BNP party is not what i want, they just want to boot out all these illegal immigrants and that, well i don't believe things like that, they are much more forceful in what they do and what they have to offer.

The idea of my website it to unite together the UK, one time scots and enlishmen were brauling over the union and agreed, but on a micro scale, everyone hates each other in a way - our neighbours and people in our village are a pain. It is simply getting people back together, to understand that everyone should get involved, i think i saw something on channel 4 that, schools shouldn't put flags up because it was to nationalistic. True but the idea of the flag is to get us to remember what the veterens thought for: a better country. Now we have forgotton that!

anyway i will see what i can do, however any ideas getting into magazines or on the news somehow, or radio?
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:52 am

Whatever the rights and wrongs of having the flag and bulldog on the screen I still think that if you manage to interest some radio show producer enough to look at the site, then you run the risk of putting them off with the first impression, but it's your site so it's your choice.

Anyhow you could check out your local radio stations and see whether any of them do a show which has some techy or political angles, and drop them a line. The Steve Wright show (Radio 2 afternoons) used to have a slot where they looked at various websites, don't know whether they still do but they'd be worth a look.

How about dropping a "press release" to some magazines such as the New Stateman, or The Spectator?
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:46 pm

well like i have said to many people, here i have done my best to get them to mention but recieved zero replies, weird isn't it. Just as i was getting a ride home lunatic teenagers were driving mad on the road - not bothered about them dead, but who they hit in the crash. Things like that are just so stupid these days, and is the reason for it to work.

Still getting a newspaper to comment on it may be a bit of a strike, as they may say the same point as you said, that the flag and bulldog put people off, so i think it isn't a dependant idea to get it to them, but actual people on the streets themselves, as when a critic says something on a movie, most people won't go and see it, until a friend goes in and says it is really good. However more open magazines and stations, may be helpful.
comcamel
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs