Run a business?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Run a business?

Postby jago25_98 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 am

Does anyone here run a business?

What have been your experiences with paperwork software(cloud, linux?) like self assessment.

I'd like to run a business but I don't fancy the paperwork. I really feel it should be highly automated, only needing to type in a number once. In fact I think if, for example a paypal payment is taken that should be able to intregrate straight into an accounts system... and that accounts system can then intregrate straight into various country tax systems.

-j
jago25_98

Postby johnhudson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Always used an accountant for tax - saved me more money than cost.

Always had accounting programs that were easy to use and produced a final year report that could go to accountant. Currently use KMyMoney as am sole trader.

VAT is different in every country; keeping track of it is not too difficult but there are few programs that will handle it all. Have a look at VatStuff http://www.downv.com/Linux/download-VATStuff-10047753.htm
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby jago25_98 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks for the info John.

While investigating the linux options I've also been looking at the cloud option, that's interesting. It seems every vendor attempts to lock the business into their system!

As I put it to Brightpearl.co.uk:

I like very much what you do. It is exactly the kind of solution I have been looking for as I investigate setting up a business that maximises automation.

I've had a look at the demo account and youtube walkthrough.

But I do have one concern, and that is how Brightpearl talks to other software - integration and data export.

Firstly,
can Brightpearl talk to shipwire.com

Secondly,
I already have my own website and ecommerce solution that integrates furfillment with Paypal. I am now looking for an integrated accounting system. Can Brightpearl talk to these systems?

Last but not least,
I have seen the perils of getting tied into a software vendor before in the business world. What happens in unforeseen circumstances should the worst happen and Brightpearl goes bust.
jago25_98

Postby johnhudson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:51 am

Maybe worth looking at http://www.openerp.com/ then.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby jago25_98 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:05 pm

OpenERP! Thank you, that's right on the money John!

They even have a thread about integrating with Zencart. Fantastic. I wonder if I should forget Zencart and just go with OpenERP now...

Thanks again :-)
jago25_98

Return to Off Topic