I've got some cash coming to me end of this year / start of next. One of the things on my to buy list is a new PC.
I fancy having a go at building my own. Here are my needs:
1) The kit must have a reasonable 64 bit processor (nothing cutting edge, but I don't want to go slower than my current 2.2Ghz Dual core Athlon 64)
2) The kit needs to support up to 4 x 2 Gb DDR2 or DDR3
3) At least 512 Mb nVidia Graphics card
4) At least 6 rear plus 2 front USB 2.0 ports
5) Fully compatible with Ubuntu 10.10 and no forced bundling of win7
6) A full set of build instructions in English and not in technical rubbish. I want the guide to assume I am a complete idiot!
I'm not asking anyone to find me the components (at least not atm!
) but I was hoping someone could point me at an online shop where I can get the sort of thing I need and hold my hand a little. (ebuyer has the stuff, but no help with compatability). I'll probably end up with a processor that is incompatable with the motherboard I pick, or ram that doesn't work or whatever if left to my own devices.
I'm not looking to buy before christmas, but I want the chance for a good look at what's on offer and weigh up prices etc.
Any help would be awesome.