50 facts and myths about Linux or why Linux has no future

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

50 facts and myths about Linux or why Linux has no future

Postby qqbb11 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:09 am

StopLinux project has completed translating its famous "50 facts and myths about Linux or why Linux has no future" document into English. Since its initial release, the document has been heavily updated and abridged. Thus, all particular examples have been removed from it, while leaving general concepts only.

Despite some controversial points, author of this document believes to have shattered the myths about open source software, particularly Linux.
qqbb11

Postby johnhudson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:02 am

Reminds of me of the famous spat between Knuth and Kernighan with the former declaring that C had no future.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:33 am

Just a rubbish FUD site not really worth your while to pay it any mind :roll:

Perhaps this thread should just be deleted and the OP have the ban hammer applied?
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Marrea » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:06 pm

towy71 wrote:Just a rubbish FUD site not really worth your while to pay it any mind :roll:

Paragraph after paragraph of white text on a black background? I can't even be bothered to try and read it. :shock:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:31 pm

towy71 wrote:Perhaps this thread should just be deleted and the OP have the ban hammer applied?

I was wondering this. A first time poster posting a link to a FUD site - just read some of the 50 "facts". Looks like both trolling and spamming to me. If you check out the site in Netcraft it would appear that the server is in Russia and runs FreeBSD. Anti-Linux BSD-fanbois possibly? Perhaps Mike could check the OP's IP address and see if it comes from a Russian ISP. If so, it would add to the impression that this is spam.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:26 pm

I think it's just a great big troll. I mean, check out this awesome bit:

Virtual desktop can never replace second monitor. Drawing analogies, instead of second toilet in the house, Linux offers to install one more bowl near first one. Like “What? There are two holes, and large family won’t have any problems.”

It seems to be a product of these guys: http://stoplinux.org.ru

Any Russian speakers here to help out? Unfortunately, my Slavic language skills extend to saying the words "main station" and "duckling" in Slovak, so I'm not much good.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:33 pm

M-Saunders wrote: check out this awesome bit:

instead of second toilet in the house, Linux offers to install one more bowl near first one.

Ubuntu has never offered to do that for me. Not even with Maverick Meerkat. I want my money back! :(

M-Saunders wrote:my Slavic language skills extend to saying the words "main station" and "duckling" in Slovak

What!? Not even "second toilet"? :|
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby leke » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:55 pm

yeah, i skimmed through it and looked at few parts in more detail.

In some respects I understand why some non adopters of *nix (like my mother-in-law) have rejected it and for the reasons mentioned in the article, but at least they could try it without cost. I also think people should at least try it because at the end of the day, that's all Linux wants -- for you to make your own informed decision.

The article also seems to want to categorise all people into one philosophical group so they can conveniently agree with their opinions. One of the best examples of this is, "I’m a developer and I would like to port my software to Linux." After reading their comment...Well maybe we don't all have strong capitalist tendencies and are not all out to profit from porting or creating software? Saying that, it's amazing how many Linux software developer jobs are popping around my neck of the woods and I would think it would be good to have some live apps out there to impress potential employers.

What I'm trying to say is, I just couldn't personally relate to the audience it was targeting. If you are already a Linux user, it wouldn't turn you from your favourite OS. If you are already a happy Windows user why would you want to change anyway?
As for deferring existing Windows users, I think people are just too curious to ignore Linux, even though it might not be the right move for them just yet.
leke
LXF regular

Postby MadHax0r » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:09 pm

M-Saunders wrote:It seems to be a product of these guys: http://stoplinux.org.ru

Any Russian speakers here to help out?M

StopLinux member reporting!
A link to this thread has been posted at the main page, to show that linux-stoppers are working hard :D And I was too curious to miss the freakshow. So here I am.
In short, the whole SLOR (StopLiunx.ORg) project is devoted to trolling! Windows fanboys troll by posting so-called "news", that are full of bull**t, and linux fanboys troll back, in comments. However, the founder is too attached to his creation to be objective, and is indeed sure he's helping to terminate linux spreading.
The forum is slightly better than the main page in terms of trolling. They have even got moderators from the linux side. Nonetheless, they cant stop the wave of crap that floods the site, due to be generally busy working, compared to the residents of the windows camp, who seem to be present online around the clock :lol:
MadHax0r

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:46 pm

With that confession done, do we really need to pay attention to trolls? Is it really worth spending our (valuable) time to counter those who don't have an interest in the truth anyway? IMO threads like these (rather, the links they point to) are a waste of time, so this'll be the last they hear from me. For now, admittedly ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Just spam, really, designed to draw hits to a rubbish webpage which seems to consist of a great big badly formatted troll post.
Put it in the spam reporting thread.
Last edited by wyliecoyoteuk on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby qqbb11 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

I am admin of StopLinux.
My name is Luca.

My project is not for trolling, although there is a lot of people come to me to troll. I and my team are trying to keep up a sane discussion. You may look at our forum. There is a lot of interesting themes and no place for trolling.

Many people come to talk to StopLinux only because I do not ban people who thank that Linux is sux and want to say why.

Also we are discussion about back-side of OpenSource market, and we (most of us) understand that OpenSource is not panacea.
qqbb11

Postby MadHax0r » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:00 am

qqbb11 wrote:I am admin

qqbb11 wrote:there is a lot of people come to me to troll

qqbb11 wrote:people who thank that Linux is sux and want to say why

qqbb11 wrote:we are discussion about back-side

I can haz cheezburger?77 :oops:

qqbb11 wrote:You may look at our forum

Man, are you kidding?
ITT, there appear to be no russian-speaking people except us two.

BTW, Luca,
this
is what your engrish looks like for native speakers. Consider the fact before trying to repost anywhere else :P
MadHax0r

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:20 am

Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls

M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:49 pm

may be its a troll trolling itself?
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic