Browser recognition and overlays

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

Browser recognition and overlays

Postby Dutch_Master » Mon May 17, 2010 10:50 pm

The problem is as follows: I've made a multi-page website for my club. It uses CSS for a nice, clean menu. Both HTML and CSS pass the W3C validator. M$IE doesn't support CSS, not even in the latest versions, so visitors using M$IE are completely lost. To resolve this I've made a dropdown menu (in HTML with the form attribute) and added it to the bottom of a page but frankly, it looks rubbish... I had the idea to use a script to determine the browser and based on that, either show the visitor the CSS menu (/M$IE) or the dropdown-menu (M$IE only). Unfortunately, having searched the web-thingy, nothing suitable came up (or I didn't look in the right dark corners ;)). Most stuff was either PHP or Javascript based, somethings I know very little (:roll:) about...

Any pointers are appreciated!
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Tue May 18, 2010 11:40 am

Try the drop down menus at Son of Suckerfish Dropdowns or the originals at Suckerfish Dropdowns for cross browser compatible menus that also meet accessibility requirements.

HTH
ollie

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue May 18, 2010 12:04 pm

Thx Ollie, that looks what I need! I'll give it a thorough study later this week :)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Programming