Mandrake Kernel Reports Disk Errors Query

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mandrake Kernel Reports Disk Errors Query

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:51 pm

For reasons I will put at the end of this message in case anyone is interested, I installed the kernel 2.6.3 from Mandrake 10.0 onto a Mandrake 10.1 system, which has a default kernel of 2.6.8.1.

The rpm 2.6.3 from Mandrake 10.0 installs fine in 10.1, no errors. Configured lilo.conf and re-booted into the 2.6.3 kernel. The boot up reported a corrupt disk (hda5) which is my 10.1 installation, excluding /home. It reported a corrupt superblock and I got a prompt asking me whether I wanted to fix it. I said no. Rebooting back into the 2.6.8.1 kernel everything was ok, no corrupt disk, all started up ok.

The Mandrake 10.1 installation was a standard one and the disk is formated with ext3.

So my question, is why does a 2.6.3 kernel from Mandrake 10.0 think that an ext3 disk on a Mandrake 10.1 installation is corrupt?

The reason for doing this "strange" act. On the pc in question, under Mandrake 10.0 I could play dvds ok. Now with Mandrake 10.1, with
Kaffine - Video fine, but sound stops after a few seconds. Minimise video and sound comes back fine after a few seconds.
XINE GUI - Sound is fine, by video is very slow and xine reports dropped frames.

I installed the 2.4 kernel that comes with Mandrake 10.1, and with this the DVDs play fine, just like they did with the 2.6.3 kernel under Mandrake 10.0.

So I thought why not try the 2.6.3 kernel from Mandrake 10.0 and see what that does?

Return to Help!