Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C# n00b question - rec'd reading?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crossy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: C# n00b question - rec'd reading? Reply with quote

I'm planning to have a go at C# (I'm a *nix programmer, but increasingly being asked for Windows stuff - yuk), so can anyone recommend a book (or two) that'd be useful to get me up to speed?

The Eric Gunnerson book on C# seems to come highly recommended, and I'm guessing that since I'm coming from Unix/Linux that something on Mono is probably going to be needed as well. The approach I want to use is develop on Linux and then "port" as needed to Windows.

I can already program in a variety of languages, (Perl, Python, C, various shells), so something that - for example - doesn't waste 10 pages explaining what a loop is would be useful. I don't think I'll be needing to do SDL, GUI development, so although that kind of information would be interesting in the longer term, I'm not going to throw a hissy fit if it's not there. Wink

Thanks. Bob.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have look at this tread. From the MonoDevlop mailing list archive.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: C# n00b question - rec'd reading? Reply with quote

crossy wrote:
The approach I want to use is develop on Linux and then "port" as needed to Windows.

I really wouldn't recommend this approach. There are differences between MS .NET and Mono which can bite in unexpected ways.

Granted that if you need do develop for both Windows and Linux then you have little choice, but if you are going to deploy mostly to Windows then you should develop on Windows.

Unlike Java, where there are various official runtimes for different platforms, the only "official" runtimes for .NET are on Windows.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: