SDL problems

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SDL problems

Postby Dorimant » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi,

I'm working through the Projects in the recent Coding Academy and while I'm mostly finding it very interesting and fun, I'm having some problems running the SDL projects. I'm pretty confident that I've got all the libraries installed and the references added to the solution. But when I try to run even the basic program with just the background and logo, all I get is a blank screen.

I'm calling update on the correct surface afterwards, so I'm confident this isn't an issue. Interestingly, when I try to just fill the main surface with a colour the program crashes.

If anyone has any suggestions or help, it would be very much appreciated. Cheers,

Nick
Dorimant

Postby Ram » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:47 pm

At a guess, I'd say your running a 64 bit Distro, if not running from the supplied CD.

If that's the case, SDL does play well with 64 bit.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Dorimant » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:01 pm

Wow, thank you! Yes I'm running a 64bit version of Ubuntu, so that's almost certainly it. To be honest, I was hoping that I was doing something incredibly stupid; I didn't even think that it could be the distro, or at least I hoped it wasn't.

Thanks very much, I'll have a look for some sort of a workaround.
Dorimant

Return to Programming