no search on lxf dvd's

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby nelz » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:18 am

That's because there is an error buried deep within the index file. The permissions error only showed up before the syntax error appeared, and only for some people.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby hendrik » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:10 am

LS,

As you ccan see in my previous postings:
On all issues of LXF DVD until october 2004 the search program works on various machines, each with various OS-es and various versions of Java.
Starting the october 2004 issue you get the error message as mentioned in my previous post, again on all various machines etc.
This clearly indicates that the problem has nothing to do with machine/OS/Java combinations but obviously caused by a change of the database.(permissions?)
Succes
p.s.
the search program has never worked in KDE's Konqueror, giving the same error message.
hendrik

Postby nelz » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:16 am

The permissions issue is completely separate. with this, the same disc's search would work on one computer but not another's. It worked in Konqueror for me. The problem you reported appears to be a rogue character introduced into the XML one month, and copied into every month's file since then.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby hendrik » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:34 am

.......and the solution is ...........?
hendrik

Postby nelz » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:26 am

... down to Mike :lol:
nelz
Site admin

Previous

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs