What can be the future of Mandrake?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

What can be the future of Mandrake?

Postby mike » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:04 am

Hi,

I use mandrakelinux for long time and now what it will happen with MD.?

regard mike :roll:
mike

RE: What can be the future of Mandrake?

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:47 am

Well, I installed the lasest version at home yesterday, and its good. Though it does go slightly over the top with the descriptions in the MDK Control Centre, and it breaks NIS unless you use thier setup, and they hide alot of features in MDKCC unless you can find the expert mode section.....apart from that, I haven't had much time to test it for advanced features......
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:15 pm

Nice to see they are keeping up with their reputation for godaweful graphics. The Penguin on the splash screen looks like he's been clobbered, or over-indulged in the fermented grape juice :roll: Oh and the fact that it has "Menu" plastered across the star on the KMenu button is really ugly.

I have made a test installation on an old computer and it works, mostly, but runs like a dog. I expect it would do better on modern hardware. The main problem was that arts keeps crashing, but as the old machine doesn't have speakers, I'm not too worried.

I think I'll see how it goes with XFCE, KDE might be a bit much for it :D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby davecs » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:58 pm

I cut my Linux teeth on Mandrake, but it doesn't interest me anymore. I keep 2 distros running on my rig, alongside Win98SE.

My main one is Gentoo. I've got it going lovely. Once you get used to it, it's great.

The other one is PCLinuxOS. It's main appeal to me is that it is quick and easy to install, tightly integrated, and is just the job for multimedia. And it's good to show to potential "converts" who would be scared stupid of Gentoo. It builds on the last good version of Mandrake (9.2) and takes it forward the way it should have gone.

And that, guys, is why Mandrake is out of the contest now.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby hallco » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:10 pm

Never mind Mandrake. At last, the one we have all been waiting for. LIBRANET 3.0 IS OUT. Rock solid, debian based and with admin tools like no other distro.
hallco

Postby alexhm » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:55 pm

Libranet, it was the first distro that got me on-line. I was rather fond of it but switched to SUSE 9.0, which worked rather well. SUSE 9.2 was even better. Took a look at Mandrivel 10.1, actually bought it because of the high score it got in lXF62, but so far not much luck with it. Wonder what Libranet 3.0 looks like, it's shaping up to be one of those nights.
alexhm

Re: RE: What can be the future of Mandrake?

Postby txtedmacs » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:18 pm

[quote="... reputation for godaweful graphics. The Penguin on the splash screen looks like he's been clobbered,...[/quote]

I have only seen it once, but I have to agree with this assessment, even I would be looking for another splash screen.

I am using Mdk 10.1 Official on my assembled tower unit and I see no real need to change my distribution, though I may try an upgrade into what was supposed to have been 10.2 now called 2005 something.

With a laptop I have been using, I am going to shortly drop the 9.1 Pro that was "installed" with the first shot given to Fedora Core 3. Oddly my IBM T-30 did not work at all well with the afore mentioned distribution. That it even partially worked was a miracle! The rpm's would fail, in retrospect I wonder how the upgrades for security and bug fixes ever worked from the Mandrake site.

Mandrake or Man<whatever> is not a bad distribution, I am a club member and previously I would alternate purchases from Red Hat and Mandrake just to give support to distributions that were routinely contributing source to Free software. Since at the moment the five machines I can access, 4 have versions of Mandrake, the laptop has a dual boot that is rarely used with NT-5 (a.k.a. Windows 2000) and the last only has XP due to some hardware conflict when Mandrake is installed should imply a fair satisfaction level with Mandrake (at the very least). [Two of the 5 are presently remote access machines, with their being, at least in principle, dual boots with XP-Pro. However, I think neither has been operating as such in recent months.]

I do not subscribe to fanatical proclamations of what's best in Linux or other tools, so look around see what you like and what is better elsewhere. Then chose what is best for you at that moment, however, be open to new approaches and just enjoy the freedom to do so.

The Best
txtedmacs

Postby doctorflange » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:21 am

I've just abandoned Mandrake 10.1 for kubuntu :D
Signature license here. Background by Michele Valentinuz. Source.
doctorflange

Return to Discussion