Learning to use Windows 7

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Learning to use Windows 7

Postby heiowge » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:14 pm

Update on install of Win 7 in replace of XP on my eeepc (dual booted with Ubuntu 9.04):

Eye candy is nice and it's all very friendly in a "My Name's William and I'll be your friend for this evening. How may I help?" + Plastic Smile type. Screensavers - less than XP and only Bubbles lives up to the OS, the rest are shipped with XP.

Program use: So far my goal has been to try and get the stuff working that I'd use on XP. I started with Windows Movie Maker. Those of you that know me, know I upload youtube vids captured via my webcam using WMM. I haven't found a linux program as easy AND comprehensive (a few ORs though). WMM shipped with XP by default, but not with 7. I found out that the download version (2.6 or Live) both are nicer looking, but have no webcam capture feature unless you're using a camcorder or USB webcam. I'm not. My eeepc one is built in.

...so I tried copying over from XP. It worked, but failed to allow me to capture. I think it's something to do with dlls. No idea there. But the eye candy is nice.

A couple of nice suprises. Firstly, I hear that win7 firewall is more than paper-bag thin, like XP one was. Hurrah. Took them long enough! Next, it actually runs faster than XP on my eeepc. Weird.

Menus - All over the place. Everything is moved. No obvious tree structure. The one in XP was easy. Nautilus is easy. 7 is hard. It's like taking a book, removing the spine and page numbers, then separating it into chapters. Then giving you the random pile. You can see the name of each chapter, but there's no guide as to where things are supposed to go anymore. I'm sure it's probably obvious to those people using Fista for the last 2 years, but not to me. But they are nice to look at and make pretty sounds.

...And we wonder why we use Linux.

The only thing it appears to have over my Gnome setup is that it looks a little nicer (although compiz has more options and better whizzy bits, aero is a lot more polished IMO - the bits that are better are far better, just not a lot of them).

Well that's me looking at win7. More updates as I mess about with it.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:54 am

Did you have a party?

Or perhaps it was more like this?
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:33 am

They were bizarre. :shock:
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:32 am

heiowge wrote:They were bizarre. :shock:

Would you believe the first one was official Microsoft marketing material?

The second was, obviously, a spoof.

Still, can you imaging anyone sad enough to actually arrange a Windows party?

The logical conclusion is that this is a subtle viral marketing campaign. Cheesy ads get distributed ("let's all laugh at MS") while doing a bloody good job of getting Win7 some publicity.

Mind you, with MS you don't really know, there's a good chance they were serious about these "launch parties" :roll:
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:36 pm

The first one is from a channel devoted to Windows 7 and comments have been locked out! even having the link here makes my blood boil :twisted: :twisted:

nice product placement for the Vaio too :roll:

second one... could do better :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby heiowge » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:58 pm

towy71 wrote:second one... could do better :roll:

Go for it. Love parodies!
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:11 pm

heiowge, you lost? Windows 7 has no place here unless in flames :twisted:
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:10 pm

LeeNukes wrote:heiowge, you lost? Windows 7 has no place here unless in flames :twisted:

Long may it burn :oops:

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:51 pm

LeeNukes wrote:heiowge, you lost? Windows 7 has no place here unless in flames :twisted:

Doesn't it count as another OS?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby heiowge » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:31 pm

I believe it does. I love using Linux, but as I explained in the help thread that spawned this one, I've gotta learn to use win7 whether I like it or not. This thread is just a catelogue of disaster, musings and opinions on what I find.

I'm not expecting Win7 to be superior to Linux. But I'm gonna remain open to any nice surprises.

Either way, whether it impresses or sucks, I will report it here. I suspect I'll see a mix of the two.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:07 pm

AndyBaxman wrote:Did you have a party?

Or perhaps it was more like this?

Windows 7 is that easy it took over an hour to film a 6 minute video.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:35 pm

To be fair, they'd frequently have to stop filming while the actors stopped sniggering at the script.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Another up and another down.

Up for win7 - managed to very easily stream an episode of family guy off my external hd attached to my desktop PC to my eeepc (both with a copy of win7). I know you can do this in Linux, but have failed many times in the past to do so. It probably is very easy, with the odd tutorial, but it was very easy and obvious with win7.

Now Down. My microphone isn't recognised. It is a cheapo technica one for a fiver from tesco, but it suffices me for skype and youtubeing. It's not that there's no driver, there (aparently) is no microphone. Yet Ubuntu sees it and uses it fine. No driver for it available, because technica are so cheepo that they only ship half a dozen drivers total, and nothing for win7 so far.

Whatever ups and downs, I still can't get away from the fact that the desktop feels like a knock-off of KDE4. Hell, the menu even seems to work the same way. I wouldn't mind that, but I use gnome for preference! :lol:

Oh, and Xmarks (firefox extension) seems to crash every time I log out of firefox instead of updating my bookmarks and passwords. Firefox on my Linux installs doesn't do that.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:13 am

If you are a real hardcore Windows fanboi (AKA Wintard), you can go for a Steve Ballmer Signature Edition.
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:52 pm

Oh dear! :roll:
heiowge
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS