A question for Mandriva LE 2005 Newcomers

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

A question for Mandriva LE 2005 Newcomers

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:19 am

If you're new to Linux and have bought the Linux Format Special 'Get Started with Mandriva Linux' the one with 4 CDs with Mandriva LE 2005 on. Has anyone managed to update via the 4th 'Update' disk?
Despite several attempts and help from Nelz, the updates don't appear to want to ...er, update.
Any info is very welcome.

Regards, Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Re: A question for Mandriva LE 2005 Newcomers

Postby bigjohn » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:32 am

eastcoastdrifter wrote:If you're new to Linux and have bought the Linux Format Special 'Get Started with Mandriva Linux' the one with 4 CDs with Mandriva LE 2005 on. Has anyone managed to update via the 4th 'Update' disk?
Despite several attempts and help from Nelz, the updates don't appear to want to ...er, update.
Any info is very welcome.

Regards, Pete.

Pete, say cobblers to the disc, just go to the easy urpmi site, follow the instructions, get sources for main, contrib, updates, jpackage, plf (both free and non-free).

Copy and paste into a konsole/terminal, logged in as root.

Let it do it's thing.

Open MCC (configure my computer)>sofware manager>updates and just follow your nose.

Whats the point of fighting with discs, if you can get newer versions/updates online!

regards

John
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Postby chiskop » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:18 am

Whats the point of fighting with discs, if you can get newer versions/updates online!

Absolutely.

But, when I did this I was told I needed 533MB of security updates, and over 600MB all updates.

It just seemed a lot - but then what would I know :?:
chiskop

Postby bigjohn » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:54 am

Ha! thats one thing that can be a jolt back to reality.

You should try it with gentoo. You get it installed and think brilliant. You then find the command to get the updates (using the -p or pretend switch) so you think what the hell!

You issue the command, and then sit back while it downloads the updates - the only minor snag ? well with mandrake/mandriva it's updates are precompiled binaries. With gentoo, it's source code. So it gets the code and then compiles it. Erm, yes, it can take a while.

My recent install took a mere 2 days to compile all the updates (about 600 megs of the little blighters).

Just a thought though. The "normal" mandriva/mandrake download versions have previously been 3 discs - so I'm thinking that it could be the case that you have to get "it" up and running, and then add the information to the software manager so that the system actually knows that it has to look at the disc to import the updates - otherwise, surely it would only be looking for the first 3 discs and they have nothing showing as "updates" hence the problems????

just guessing there - I always did my updates as per my previous post - then at least you know that they're the latest available versions!!!!!
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:00 am

Hi Chaps,
I have downloaded via the Internet through the Software Centre in Mandriva...however, something seems to be coming down with them that won't allow me to access the Internet after a reboot! Strange, but true.

When I first got Mandriva - it was a struggle at first - I updated via the Internet and it worked fine. Then this started happening. So, I've left it as a bog standard install (and hope for the best) it works fine, now I've sorted the DVD and Plug-ins side of things out.

I've also just bought Fedora 4, with a BIG manual. The only downside to an otherwise excellent set up, is that there doesn't appear to be any DVD playback. No matter, I am learning all about each distro's quirks and, defintely NOT being put off Linux. The forum is really excellent. And I honestly haven't had so much fun from PCs in a long time. Windows (XP) is good, but ultimately boring. Not so with Linux.

Thanks for your replies.

Regards, Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Return to Discussion