Cannot install Win XP and Linux without XP installation disk

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Cannot install Win XP and Linux without XP installation disk

Postby mhi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:13 pm

I need to install Linux on my Dell PC. The way I have done this on my last Dell PC was to install Linux (overwrite XP) and then create new partions which you can then install Windows XP on later.

Unfortunately this time I cannot reinstall Win XP as I do not have any system disks (Dell no longer provides them as they say that there is a system restore facility). Can anyone suggest a way of getting the disks. Or can you suggest a way of partitioning the disk without spending alot of money on software like partition magic which I would only use once.

Thanks.
mhi

RE: Cannot install Win XP and Linux without XP installation

Postby nelz » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:27 pm

You don't say which Linux distro you want to install, but some of them have very good partitioning tools in their installers (much better than Partition Magic for this task). If you are installing Mandriva or SUSE, just let the installer do its job, it will pick up the Windows partition, resize it to make room for Linux and set things up so you can read your Windows partition for Linux.

If you are installing another distro, you may need to boot from something like Knoppix first and use QTparted to resize your Windows partition.

Whichever way you do it, you should have Windows installed first and add Linux after. This works much better than installing Windows after Linux, which at best kills the Linux bootloader.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby linuxgirlie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:36 pm

Word of warning, make sure you defragment your windows partition before re-sizing it, as you may lose files if you dont :D
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:57 pm

Good advice. You may also find you can't shrink it by much if you don't defrag first.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby mhi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:18 pm

Thanks people.

I will try it. I have the Linux Format Magazine LXF70 with Debian 3.1 and Fedora Core 4. I have used Fedora Core 3 before on another machine. I will try and install Fedora C4, if this doesn't work I will do Debian. If this doesn't help, I will try and dig out Mandriva or SUSE from the old magazines.
mhi

Postby nelz » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:07 pm

I don't think the FC installer will resize partitions, I vaguely remember commenting on it in that issue. Your best bet is to boot for the Mandriva DVD and let the installation run as far as partitioning the disk. Then either continue or reboot, depending on whether you want to try Mandriva or another distro. The Mandriva installation partitioner is as good as (or better than) anything you'll find.
nelz
Site admin

Postby linuxgirlie » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:38 pm

I must agree mandriva has a good partition and when recommending to non-linux friends/students/work colleages etc they have always found it easy.
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby mhi » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:53 pm

Thanks.

I have now got XP and Mandriva running. I have abandoned Fedora. Having read the LXF 'Top 50 distros' article which suggested Mandrake was ranked as their number one choice, maybe I should try it. It certainly installed quite easily.[/img]
mhi

Postby comcamel » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:40 am

when i first time installed SuSE on xp laptop, i defragmented before but was no good. So i had to use partion magic, to resive partion safely.
comcamel
LXF regular

Return to Help!