SAMBA quirks

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SAMBA quirks

Postby fede » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:23 pm

Trying to act like a guru... So I set up a dedicated print server installing Arch (yeah, I subscribe to LXF :wink: ) on a clunker that was lying around the house... After several somersaults, I got CUPS to work with a LaserJet III (parallel port) and a Lexmark Z52 (USB) from all Linux boxes on the network (I need a gloating smiley here). Next, I installed SAMBA so the window boxes.wouldn't be left out, and it works... but only for the HP. Mind you, Windows sees the Lexmark, but if you send it a job, that job is whisked to neverland, without a trace anywhere... The printers are not mentioned by name in the samba.conf file -- the printing system is referred to as CUPS, and CUPS itself prints just fine... Any idea where even to start looking? Thanks!

Fred
fede

RE: SAMBA quirks

Postby Nigel » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:45 pm

What print drivers are you using on Windows ?
I have found that when using CUPS via SAMBA, the Windows machines need to be told that the printers are Postscript devices (even when they're not !). Windows then sends Postscript to CUPS, which correctly translates it to the native printer language.
For colour devices I usually tell Windows that the printer is an HP Color LaserJet 5M (Postscript), which is one of the standard drivers included with Win98 & WinXP (at least).
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby fede » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:49 pm

Gee, Nigel: you are a genius! It worked like a beauty! In my infinite naivete, I was using Windows' Lexmark drivers, and as soon as I put on the Color 5 driver, everything worked perfectly. THANKS! And it also taught me something...

Fred :D
fede

Postby Nigel » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:31 pm

You're welcome :D

As usual with Linux, there are alternative solutions... if you find you absolutely cannot live without some special "feature" that the Windows Lexmark drivers provide, you can fiddle with your SAMBA setup to get it to share the printer in "raw" mode and then use the Windows drivers - but that's a bit more complicated (see a thread from a couple of months back when I had a discussion with BigJohn about setting up SAMBA - in particular the second page).
But the Postscript solution is the easy one :wink:
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby fede » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:39 am

I sure appreciated our pointer, Nigel! I odn't think I am that worried about using the Win drivers for the Lexmark, but your exchange with bigjohn was extremely illuminating -- if you don't mind, I saved it to a text file fo reference :D

Thanks again!!
fede

Return to Help!