Login problems and no new message indicators

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Login problems and no new message indicators

Postby paulm » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:06 pm

Over the last few days, I've been having problems with logging in to the site - click login, wait for the user name and password boxes to fill, then click login. Only it doesn't work - I have to go through the same rigmarole a second time to get logged int.

I'm also finding that I am no longer getting any indications of new messages, which makes keeping up with things very difficult.

Is anyone else seeing this? I've not changed anything here that I'm aware of, so I don't know what is causing the problem.

paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:28 pm

I did see that at one point, but I've not seen it for a while. Clear out your cookies and try it again.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby paulm » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:34 am

LeeNukes wrote:I did see that at one point, but I've not seen it for a while. Clear out your cookies and try it again.

:( That seems to have fixed the login problem, but I'm still not getting any indication of new messages. That function has never been very good on this forum, but now it simply doesn't work at all.....

paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:52 am

Do you mean the "View posts since last visit" option? That's always worked perfectly for me, as has autologin (apart from when Mike locked me out of the new site, I still don't know what I did to upset him :D)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby LeeNukes » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

I just found one issue that isn't fixed by deleting the cookies. It seems that when you login it redirects you to www.linuxformat.com and the password I have said is for linuxformat.com not www.linuxformat.com.

Removing the www from the start after logging on on linuxformat.com allows me to do normal forum stuff.

If you're using firefox and saving your login it may be worth checking that your saved login is for www.linuxformat.com and not linuxformat.com like mine is.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby paulm » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:25 pm

nelz wrote:Do you mean the "View posts since last visit" option? That's always worked perfectly for me, as has autologin (apart from when Mike locked me out of the new site, I still don't know what I did to upset him :D)

:( That doesn't work either.

I thought I had the double login problem solved, but that was temporary. What is a great deal more annoying is the fact that I now get no indication of new posts at all. All I can do is look at dates, which doesn't give me a very good indication (especially if I can't remember what date I was last on the site :) ).

I never did like the way the new posts indicators worked on here - if I had to log out for some reason, I would lose the new indications every time, which always struck me as silly. Now, I have no way of finding new posts at all, which is really annoying.

Just tried 'view posts since last visit', and according to it, no one has posted anything since I last logged in on the 15th.

I guess about all I can try is to delete myself ( :) ) and start a new user ID, see if that is any better.....

paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:43 am

paulm, what browser are you using? Have you tried a different browser with the same results?

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby paulm » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:36 pm

M-Saunders wrote:paulm, what browser are you using? Have you tried a different browser with the same results?

M

My normal browser of choice is Seamonkey, but I've tried Firefox as well.

Since I'm currently restricted to a Windows box, I may even try Internet Exploder, though I'd rather not...

I tried creating a new user, which worked, for a short while. I was getting new message prompts and was able to log in with only one attempt. However, when I tried that new user a couple of minutes ago, I ended up with the same problem all over - two attempts to log in, plus no new message indicators.

I should also mention that I've tried this from different machines as well - at the moment, I'm using a Win box (not by choice...), but I normally run either Zenwalk or Vector LInux from either my T61 laptop or Zenwalk from my AMD desktop.

:) Next time I'm home, I'll try from my OS/2 desktop machine and see what happens there.

paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Return to This Website