Linux Mandrive Limited Edition 2005 - SOS

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux Mandrive Limited Edition 2005 - SOS

Postby iancass » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:17 am

I am a newbie re Linux as I have been trying to get away from WINDOWS so I thought I would give this a go.

The plan was to run it on my laptop by itself so I can see what its all about without any conflicting stuff going on etc.

The 1st cd which I had to install seem to be fine although the second was not as I was getting quiet a few error messages but it did let me complete that install, disc 3 seem to install okay as well.

On boot up/restart it takes me into a black screen asking for login and passowrd which I enter the onto another line which says something like

ian@host -id or something like that, now this is were my problem lies as I cant seem to get to first base of seeing O/S. I read that the disc could be faulty but I was advised from disc vendor that its more likley something to do with my laptop.

Would it be easier to format hardrive again and try to reinstallation again?

Any help would be good
iancass

Postby evilnick » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:23 am

Most likely the graphics hardware was not autodetected, and therefore the installer did not set up the X graphical system. Mandriva is a bit bad at this because, although in the summary screen it will show it in red with a warning, if you aren't paying attention you could easily miss it.

The best thing to do is log in, as you have done, and type XFdrake to run the configuration program. You may have to select your screen and graphics device manually, so it's worth knowing what sort of hardware it is before you try this.
evilnick

Postby iancass » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:44 am

Thanks for that. makes a lot of sense, will try that out and see how I get on.
iancass

Return to Help!