Suse 9.3

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Suse 9.3

Postby BillBones » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:31 pm

I am new to Linux and was going to purchase a copy of Suse 9.3 from PC World as a platform to learn about the system. Having read a number of posts about the installation not working correctly I am now not sure.

Would also like to know if it will work as a second boot option with Windows XP Pro?. Any one out there with any comments?

Bill
BillBones

RE: Suse 9.3

Postby A-Wing » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:06 pm

There is an evaluation version which is the same as the boxed package without the commercial addons and plugins. You could try this first, you can download it from suse.com or buy it from www.LinuxISO.co.uk.
It will work as a second boot option to XP.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby overflow » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:54 pm

I've installed SuSE 9.3 on a bunch of stuff including Dell laptops and it I haven't had any trouble with it.
If you get far enough into the install that you're about to write to your hard disk, it is pretty likely it is going to work for you.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:22 pm

BillBones
You are obviously new to the linux thing, so my advice is buy the box set. It has a good set of books and guides that will be a handy reference for when you mess up, we all mess up occassionally! ;-)
A-wing you are shameless :-P
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby birdra » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:48 pm

Never had any problems from the box set. It's worked on every price of hardware I've tried it on, including my Toshiba Libretto L1. Also, for a beginner the documentation is great.

I believe that most of the issues that you saw here involved the version that came on one of the mags DVDs.
birdra

Postby Gordon » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:09 pm

I've purchased every boxed set from version six onwards. Never had any problems with a P1 166 Mhz, PIII 800 Mhz or my current AMD Athlon 64. I currently use SUSE 9.3.

Gordon
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby dth » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:24 pm

Just endorse what everone has said. Would agree with boxing a boxed version for the manuals.
dth

Postby fingers99 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:17 pm

A dissenting view. SuSE is an absurdly expensive distribution which always seems to have a few quirks. The books which come with the boxed set are to be found on the CDs and SuSE's ftp site, although they do take some finding.

To my mind, the SuSE specific administration tools make it a dead end in terms of learning Linux: for 75% of the time, you're just learning YaST.

I'd recommend one of the live CDs, especially Kanotix or Knoppix: if you like them, just put them on your HD (Kanotix is a better bet for this).

Just about every distro will dual boot with XP: that really isn't an issue.
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:33 pm

dissent all you like fingers but a newbie will always get a bit of re-assurance from having something down in black and white. You're probably right about SuSE and yast but, IMHO, until you've found the limitations it is a fairly gentle learning curve.
Bill pay us no mind, welcome to the wild and whacky world of linux where you are in control.
towy71

Postby overflow » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:35 pm

I'm more than happy to pay for my copy of Linux. I've been buying SuSE since about 7.0. The people who always go for the free distros and contribute nothing are the same who sit quietly in the corner of the pub when someone needs to get a round in.

The software may be free but there's a significant cost in putting it together and supporting the web sites. Someone has to pay it.

YaST is great. It lets beginners get going quickly without a huge learning curve. Then as you get familiar with the contents of /etc, you can start to hack the files by hand.

I still do a few jobs with YaST but I now know where most stuff is and could manage without it.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:37 pm

I think fingers is right! Newbies ought to be forced to use Linux From Scratch, how else can they be expected to learn anything? Let them use something with an friendly graphical front-end, like YaST, and the next thing you know they'll want you to stop flogging them as well.
Bah! Hanging's too good for 'em!

:D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:13 pm

hehe, short and to the point, but you omitted mention of thumbscrews and dpkg :lol:
towy71

Postby A-Wing » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:22 pm

Real newbies should be given a green monitor and a keyboard with 2 keys a '0' and a '1'
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Re: RE: Suse 9.3

Postby fingers99 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:17 pm

overflow wrote: The people who always go for the free distros and contribute nothing are the same who sit quietly in the corner of the pub when someone needs to get a round in.

So that explains Debian (Gentoo and LFS, too) being both an entirely volunteer effort and one of (maybe the) most popular distros? If you want to contribute, there are many ways of doing so. Not all of them involve paying for free beer!

I gave up on SuSE for 5 reasons:

a.It was demonstrably inferior to Knoppix in terms of hardware recognition
b.It was as buggy as hell
c.apt-get is a far better package management tool than YaST ever was
d.There simply are not enough packages built as SuSE rpms.
f. Once SuSE became a plc the support started to become snotty and not so good......
fingers99
LXF regular

Re: RE: Suse 9.3

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:31 am

overflow wrote:I'm more than happy to pay for my copy of Linux. I've been buying SuSE since about 7.0. The people who always go for the free distros and contribute nothing are the same who sit quietly in the corner of the pub when someone needs to get a round in.

Using a download distro doesn't necessarily mean you contribute nothing. Even if you don't give money, and many people do, there is a far more valuable commodity that the volunteer distros could use, a little of your time.

overflow wrote:The software may be free but there's a significant cost in putting it together and supporting the web sites. Someone has to pay it.

This is true. Unfortunately, only a small fraction of what you pay for a box set contributes to this. Once you remove the margins of the distributors and retailers, take away the shipping costs (absurdly) high and the costs of disc duplication and printing the manuals, there is very little left for the distro.

This is why Mandrake Club was such a success. People were still getting a paid distro, with the support, early updates and new releases, but all of the money (apart for VAT and CC fees) was going to the distro.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Next

Return to Help!