Anyone else given up on Linux for a Mac?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby sandyman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:31 pm

ggsinclair wrote:To answer the question - No - principal reason is that I cannot afford a Mac!

Is it much better than (free) Linux though? As a graphics - CAD - computer it certainly had the upper hand - and the aesthetics are great too, but are the everyday packages any better?

Gordon

Re the price it depends on what you want from a computer. For example when it comes to laptops I reckon that iBooks are very competitively priced especially the 12" model. Look at the price of comparable Intel machines especially those with separate graphics cards.

Re the Apps. Apples own apps IMHO are definitely better. Many Open Source apps are available either natively or via Fink if you want to go down that route.

When it comes down to ease of use though it's no contest. OS X
sandyman

Postby phil_m » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:19 pm

sandyman wrote:
ggsinclair wrote:To answer the question - No - principal reason is that I cannot afford a Mac!

Is it much better than (free) Linux though? As a graphics - CAD - computer it certainly had the upper hand - and the aesthetics are great too, but are the everyday packages any better?

Gordon

Re the price it depends on what you want from a computer. For example when it comes to laptops I reckon that iBooks are very competitively priced especially the 12" model. Look at the price of comparable Intel machines especially those with separate graphics cards.

Re the Apps. Apples own apps IMHO are definitely better. Many Open Source apps are available either natively or via Fink if you want to go down that route.

When it comes down to ease of use though it's no contest. OS X

I agree with everything you've said. The price issue is of less importance if you're a student since Apple's educational discounts are really good value. I work in a university and received a few hundred pounds discount on my Powerbook.

As far as usability goes, OS X wins hands down. Everything is integrated much better than in Windows or Linux, and the intuitiveness of the system is astonishing once you sit down to use OS X for any period of time.
phil_m

Postby RD » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:32 pm

the intuitiveness of the system is astonishing once you sit down to use OS X for any period of time.

Sorry must disagree, i have a G5 powermac sat right at the side of me after a few months of using os x i turned that into a donkey as that was the only use i could find for it apart from the graphics editing! i found that this mac is a waste of money but as i have paid so much for it, it works its a** off every day it does all the dirty work while my pc which is far quicker and cheaper does the nice easy stuff, my advice buy a secound hand mac off ebay if you like it then buy a new mac next year! os x is unix and water they just don't mix it looks great pitty thats all and thats IMO.
RD
LXF regular

Postby sandyman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:22 pm

os x is unix and water they just don't mix it looks great pitty thats all
?
sandyman

Anyone else given up on Linux for a Mac?

Postby phil_m » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:10 pm

sandyman wrote:
?

That's what I thought too. :?
phil_m

Re: Anyone else given up on Linux for a Mac?

Postby sandyman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:55 pm

phil_m wrote:
sandyman wrote:
?

Or maybe just a troll?
sandyman

Postby nordle » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:23 pm

sandyman wrote:
phil_m wrote:
sandyman wrote:
?

Or maybe just a troll?

If thats the case, then the troll RD has more posts than you :)

RD is not a troll, just because someone doesn't like something for good reasons doesn't make them a troll.
nordle
LXF regular

Postby phil_m » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:12 pm

nordle wrote:RD is not a troll, just because someone doesn't like something for good reasons doesn't make them a troll.

The confusion is not about RD disliking OS X. It's about his post not making any sense even in a "Hi, I've just had a lobotomy" kind of way.
phil_m

RE: Re: Anyone else given up on Linux for a Mac?

Postby Rhakios » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:07 pm

I shouldn't talk too much about making sense:

the intuitiveness of the system is astonishing once you sit down to use OS X for any period of time.

The point about intuitiveness is that you should be able to grasp something without having to sit down with for such a period of time. I would suggest that OS X has a deductive interface, i.e. it makes sense after you have learned about it ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby phil_m » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:01 am

To be astonished by something implies having an appreciation for it. The point of the sentence you've quoted is that one comes to really appreciate the amount of thought that's gone into OS X once one has had time to analyse it. OS X, for example, has menus that actually work, unlike any Linux distro I've ever seen.
phil_m

Postby sandyman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:22 am

If thats the case, then the troll RD has more posts than you :)

RD is not a troll, just because someone doesn't like something for good reasons doesn't make them a troll.

As Phil states my comments were aimed at the fact that the post was unintelligble "It's English Jim, but not as we know it" :wink:

Even a bit of punctuation would have helped. In order to be able to reply to a post one must first be able to understand it [/quote]
sandyman

RE: Re: Anyone else given up on Linux for a Mac?

Postby nordle » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:25 pm

I read it that he simply missed the word "oil", just got a head of his typing, but its not hard to fill in the gaps :)
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:29 am

phil_m wrote: OS X, for example, has menus that actually work, unlike any Linux distro I've ever seen.

Your menus don't work? I'm astonished!
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby linuxgirlie » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:42 am

What is it about the Linux menus? Are you talking about the application bar? or Menus in something like Konqueror?
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby RD » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:36 am

phil_m wrote:
nordle wrote:RD is not a troll, just because someone doesn't like something for good reasons doesn't make them a troll.

The confusion is not about RD disliking OS X. It's about his post not making any sense even in a "Hi, I've just had a lobotomy" kind of way.

not quite!

so that you are clear because it would seem you cannot or would not work out what i said here is the SIMPLE form

nelz wrote: RD wrote:
i found the unix side of os x a warted down version.

Love it! :lol:

Linux - Unix with attitude!
MacOS - Unix with verucas!

get the connection now :?:
RD
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion