Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rescueing that other OS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hints and tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Rescueing that other OS Reply with quote

So, your ($1) has a Win-PC that got infected. And you being "the Linux guy" (or gal Wink) around, (s)he urgently calls you late at night to 'call on your expertise' Rolling Eyes

Well, try http://www.sysresccd.org Smile Simple, small download and memory footprint and apparently quite effective. The bootmenu has plenty of options to choose from, rescue applications in abundance, and although it has a graphical skin, it's basically cli stuff so you can impress ($1) and anyone else present...

To cut a long story short, this is the command that gets the work done for you:
Code:
freshclam && clamscan -r /
It starts with updating the virus data from the ClamAV website, then starts the recursive scan at / (root). ($1) in my case was a friend (and colleague) catching a nasty virus when he was cheated by Norton last night. With him having a bit of knowledge on Linux, I was able to hand him a freshly backed CD (he lives nearby, less then a mile away) and guide him towards the solution by phone, as his g/f was already in bed. He said it was a 5 min job afterwards, but I'm not too sure he was talking about killing off the virus.... Wink Shocked

Mr. Green
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite chapter title in the excellent manual is '21 Backup data from an unbootable Windows computer'

The manual is a mine of useful information.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hints and tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: