Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMD or INT

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert109

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: AMD or INT Reply with quote

I was looking at parts for a nice pc build and 1 thing that Im unsure about is wat cpu to get amd or int....I want a perfect ballance for linux as my main os and windows for my gaming platform....wat would you choose? or is just fan boys bashing one over the other
I want to build summit that linux will work flawless on

heres the specs of a game ill be playing just to give you an idea
what Im building

Dawn Of War 2 Retribution Recommended System Requirements
CPU: Any Core 2 , Athlon X2, or better
Memory: 2GB RAM or higher (XP, Vista, Windows 7)
Video Card: 256 MB Video Card using Shader Model 3 (Nvidia GeForce 7800GT or any Nvidia GT200 series or better, ATI X1900 or any HD3600 series or better
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really matter these days. Even when playing the most demanding videogame the proc still waits periodically for input, either from the user (you Razz) or the rest of the system (video card, harddrive, etc).

AMD gives you more cycles for yer Pound, but Intel has the faster CPU. It's a matter of budget and personal preferences. If you're a gamer (and it sounds like you are) then invest in a better GPU then a CPU, as well as max-ing out the RAM and having an SSD as your main system drive (plus a large conventional one for storage). Have at least SATA-II connectors to attach the SSD to, SATA-III is not widely in use and difficult to find ATM. Alternatively, there are SSD solutions that mount a whole bunch of flash-chips on a PCIe card, giving even higher performance (but at a price, both in terms of pennies spend and storage available, although with the recommended separate storage drive this doesn't need to be too much of an issue)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: