Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e-Book piracy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
I personally object to the Kindle mechanism, and I refuse to pay extra for a digital copy.
I never read books more than once, unless they are reference books or manuals.

That probably explains why half the content of my Kindle came from O'Reilly. They do have reasonable prices for e-books, even more so if you already have the print edition.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
I personally object to the Kindle mechanism, and I refuse to pay extra for a digital copy.

That probably explains why half the content of my Kindle came from O'Reilly. They do have reasonable prices for e-books, even more so if you already have the print edition.

Agreed.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
I see no point in carrying around every book I've ever read, as I will probably never read them again.
I no longer buy DVDs, I rent them, watch them once and return them.
And no, I don't copy them or rip them to disc.
I realised that I had a hundred or so DVDs that I had watched once, and felt no desire to watch ever again.

The "Kindle mechanism" isn't the problem. Its the agency model used by certain publishers. It is, in effect, like the old Net Book Agreement which was ruled illegal in 1997. The OFT is looking into this "price fixing" on eBooks.

The upshot of this price fixing is that an eBook, from certain publishers, that has its price fixed in this way will be the same price irrespective of who you buy it from, or which reader you use.

I do like to read books again. Not all books. Some I read once, some I read two or three times, and some I come back to time and again. Some, I find, need reading more than once to fully appreciate them.

Same goes for DVDs. Just re-watched the Abrams Star Trek again and notice several things I missed the first and second time around, the comment from Scotty about Admiral Archer's prize beagle amongst them.

Still hate the Budweiser engineering section, however. Just makes my engineers brain go NO, NO, NO, Wrong!
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In referring to the "Kindle mechanism" I meant the way that your content can be remotely deleted by Amazon, and the narrow access tunnel offered by it.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: